VMware Horizon Community
brunosch
Contributor
Contributor

VM naming pattern is already used by another desktop

Hi! I'm Testing with View Manager 3.0 and successfully created a desktop pool with linked clones. Later I deleted the desktop pool because I want to recreate the pool with a new master image and different settings.

When I recreate the Pool, I can not use the same naming pattern for the clients (e.g. client000x ), the broker tells me, that the naming pattern is already in use. I already checked if any other client have the same names, additionally I checked the AD if there are old computer accounts, but I fond nothing.

How can I remove the "existing" but invisible names from the view manager ??

When I use a different naming pattern I can create a pool, but I don't want to change the naming convention of our clients every day Smiley Sad

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
thaichi
Contributor
Contributor

That's easy go under View manager and remove all virtual machines under desktop sources tab.

Also remove desktop Group in Desktop and pool.

I remember doing that and i fixed the problem, however if still can't figure out i would recommend going into command line and remove all virtual machines on ESX host.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
brunosch
Contributor
Contributor

I allready removed all virtual machines under the 'desktop sources' tab. I even removed all desktop groups that I can start with an empty view manager, but I still got the same error message. The old names resist somewhere in the view manager database.

0 Kudos
thaichi
Contributor
Contributor

have you checked on vCenter server ?

Do you see any leftover VM's there ... i remember i have noticed this and i did cleanup everywhere to got rid of this error.

1.remove all VM's through vCenter

2.If necessary remove all VM's from ESX host using command line ,

on ESX host Look into /vmfs/volumes/xxxacdxx/ folder to see if directory name exists for the DesktopPool

use rm -rf to get rid of whole desktop pool folder... if you are trying to create and the older desktop pool name exists ...guess what wouldn't be able to recreate if from View Manager

0 Kudos