VMware Horizon Community
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM View, SunRay2 terminals - Sun Server needed ?

Just a quick general question here ;

We're in the process of planning our new VM View system, we plan to use SunRay 2 terminals to connect to the users desktops.

My question is;

Do we need to purchase the SunServer software so that the SunRays2's can connect to VM View ? ie SunServer is acting like a broker/bridge to connect the terminals to VM View ?

Thanks in advance..

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try installing the latest Java

don't overwrite the existing java though

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
jbruelasdgo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

you should not

but I recommend you to talk to your Sun expert

here we have made tests, and the thin clients can access VMware View without problems

regards

Jose Ruelas

Jose B Ruelas http://aservir.wordpress.com
mirko_josipovic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all

we also are looking for solution that could work with sun ray 1g ( i know its old ) and openldap

found leostream as good but sun is also in Smiley Happy

does anybody know more about license in case i need both solution to work ( leo and sun )

thanks

0 Kudos
camontgomery
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You're in luck - i spend the past month working out all of the issues to getting SunRays working with VMware View.

Things you will need to get VMware View working with SunRays:

• Solaris (DO NOT believe them when they say it can work with OpenSolaris - it CAN'T, I say that with weeks of pain and suffering and hours upon hours of being on the phone with support only to be told that there is an unresolved bug that prevents it from working)

• SunRay Server Software (SRSS 4.1) - The manual for this and the connectors are 250 pages printed, but completely invaluable.

• SunRay Windows Connector - Yes, you need this, even though it doesn't say so in the documentation for the VMware View connector

• SunRay View Connector

• This USB Daemon if you want USB redirection - http://blogs.sun.com/danielc/entry/a_usb_drive_daemon_for1

You can get Solaris for free, but support and updates are only with a service contract, so its up to you whether you want to buy a service contract, or just run Solaris unpatched and hope for the best. You're also gonna run into a lot of problems changing the hostname and ip address on Solaris - you can change them, but getting them to persist through reboots takes tweaking.

http://wiki.sun-rays.org/index.php/Sun_Ray_Community - this website will become your friend. Even though it says you can get SunRays working on OpenSolaris, there are many problems, and View will not work.

Best of luck - it took me 5 server builds to get it working correctly (1 RHEL, 3 OpenSolaris, and finally Solaris), but now it works fine. Also, this will work with both SunRay 1s and 2s.

Let me know if you have any questions.

mirko_josipovic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks camontgomery

willl try to install in our lab solaris and SRSS and integrate it with broker

do you know more about license ?

if i have 100 sun clients and 100 fat clients with leostream broker

how much license do i need ?

thanks

0 Kudos
acruizu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

SRSS Licencenses?

View Licenses?

OpenSolaris is not currently supported http://www.sun.com/software/sunray/techspecs.jsp

X number of concurrent users -> X licenses required (SRSS) http://www.sun.com/software/sunray/getit.jsp

0 Kudos
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sunray Software that sits on Solaris is a Licensable product.

Solaris itsself is free but to get any support you have to buy support contracts.

Its advisable to do so as there is a few niggles with solaris and we have had to use our contacts at SUN to get help as the customer didnt buy any support.

VCP, VTSP4, VSP4, MCSE, MCTS, IBMBCE and anything else I can learn.

A VMware Consultant in Scotland for Taupo Consulting http://www.taupoconsulting.co.uk If you think I'm right or helpful award me some points please
0 Kudos
mirko_josipovic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi all

if i use Leostream as broker for vms residing on Xen,Vmware ESX etc

but also need Sun Ray for authenticating from Sun Thin clients what about license then

so vms are on vmware esx ( lets say 100 )

50 off them are for Sun Thin Clients ( so i need Sun Ray )

50 off them are for fat and other clients

all are managed with leostream brokker ( as i need OpenLDAP )

do i need 100 Leosteam and 50 Sun license

thanks

0 Kudos
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for that Info camontgomery, appreciated !

Cheers

0 Kudos
NHCdmont
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

• Sunray Software that sits on Solaris is a Licensable product.

Solaris itsself is free but to get any support you have to buy support contracts.

Its advisable to do so as there is a few niggles with solaris and we have had to use our contacts at SUN to get help as the customer didnt buy any support.

VCP, VTSP4, VSP4, MCSE, MCTS, IBMBCE and anything else I can learn. ***

Hi Chris, funny you should say that, we're currently running the UN-Supported version.... We're awaiting the licenses from our supplier, hopefully that should resolve a few niggles we're having..

Cheers

0 Kudos
krismcewan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Try installing the latest Java

don't overwrite the existing java though

0 Kudos
AUPhil
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Our View deployment is currently to SunRay2 terminals.

We have two SunRay servers - one VM and one physical. Not yet sure why, but the physical outperforms the VM enough to notice....likely my VM network config ?:|

It is my understanding that the SunRay server software does not require licensing. The licensing is at the endpoint (SunRay terminals).

We have some odd buggy issues with the early access MMRs - such as the white screen of death if a session is closed while an audio stream is active. Our solution was to deny a session disconnect Smiley Happy only logoff is allowed.

We have it easy in that we have a campus-wide Sun support contract.

Phil

0 Kudos
mirko_josipovic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi AUPhil

thats interesting licensing info ( that each Sun Ray terminal allready have one )

can you please check that ?

thanks

br

0 Kudos
camontgomery
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Let me clear some of the confusion over licensing for the SunRays.

Each SunRay comes with a "Right to Use" license for the SunRay Server Software, SunRay Windows Connector, SunRay View Connector, and SunMMR. Essentially this means that you can set up as many SunRay servers as you wish to service the SunRays that you purchased. Licensing needs to be purchased for the Sun VDI software if you want to use that, but you wouldn't since you'd be using VMware View. Therefore, all you need to purchase are SunRays and VMware View licenses, along with whatever ESX licenses you'll be using.

As far as our experience with SunMMR, we had trouble getting it to work with much outside of the included sample videos, and even then, there were stability issues, and you are essentially limited to playing videos in WMP. Supposedly with SRSS 5, SunMMR will support flash video (and full USB support) and other content.

@AUPhil: One thing I would try would be to attach two or more NICs per server to your virtual switch that your SRSS is residing on. We also experienced slow performance when we were using one 1Gbit connection from our server, but performance improved dramatically when we stuck a second 1Gbit connection to the virtual switch. BTW our VMware View / SunRay environment is 100% virtualized.

0 Kudos
Bergo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

you are very close on the licensing, but to maintain support and upgrades you need to pay for each Sun Ray clients, including the DTUs and any SunRay Desktop Access Client sessions. Licensing for SRSS is between $35 and $42 per user per year depending on your support level (list price).

you pay for:

View licenses - by number of concurrent users ($150 for View 4 and $250 for View 4 Premier (which includes view composer for flex clones))

ESX host licenses (they basically give them away if you buy the correct view package)

SRSS licenses based on number of DTU's and SunRay Desktop Access Client sessions

Solaris support contract (OS is "free" but it is advisable to pay for support and updates)

hope that is fairly clear, but feel free to correct me on anyhting. Any prices emntioned are the USD list prices off of the vendor websites.

0 Kudos
Eric_Steed
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would get the latest version of Sun Ray software (SRS5 - aka SRSS4.2). The USB redirection works pretty well- although only with Windows XP SP3. Check out Sun's documentation page on Sun Ray sofware at http://wikis.sun.com/display/SRS/Home. It lists the caveats with MultiMedia redirection, USB passthrough and Flash acceleration. There are quite a few, but none really major other than IE 7 or 8 requirement for flash acceleration and no support for firefox with flash acceleration. Best of luck!

0 Kudos
tcoogan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Just checking,

I have a sunray setup, that i have been given from out old admin. Just thought i would make sure that it has been setup correctly, We currently have a Solaris server that all of our thin clients talk to and from there we create using payflex cards, a kiosk mode RDC to each virtual machine.

Is that the way todo it?

Could someone explain the best setup for using VMware and Sunrays.

0 Kudos
JonPost
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I know this is a very old posting but we've got a plethora of SunRays sitting around and I have few questions on how you did get this all working.

0 Kudos