VMware Horizon Community
nasterizer
Contributor
Contributor

VM Usages

What I would like to know are what are the typical applications everyone is using on their VD. Are they basic apps like MS Office or a little more resource intensive?

In my environment, we are associated with city planning and alot of our apps are graphic intensive. Mostly they produce maps and geoghraphic loactions. You can actually think of it along the lines of GoogleEarth. Other apps i have are AutoCAD and GIS. Now users started hating my VD deployment do to bad performance.

Should I be using VD for these heavy apps or is there a problem in my deployment? Also if I virtualize the apps using something like Thinstall would it make any difference in terms of the load?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

one of the biggest issues about RDP (the default protocol for viewing desktops under VDI) is that is has awful graphcal abilities. any programme that utilsed you GPU in any fancy way, ie 3D acceleration to run 3D diagrams or Flash and graphicall intensive web sites suffer appalling performance over lower grade bandwidth. you could aleivate this if you utilised CDS from Citrix (it uses the ICA protocol to deliver the desktop experiance) ICA is a much better delivery method.

Personally I tend to view this in the same way that I view Server based computing, Applications like Office and DB fount end, messenging etc. no issues whatsoever. graphically intensive application I would tend to shy away from. VDI has the advantage in that CPU intensive local client applications have a better chance of running adequately than under a Citix/TS environment.

AutoCAD might work but redraw in my opionion will not give adequate performance to be of use to the designers, AutoCAD Player though is a different matter all together, this should return an adequate user experiance to make it useable.

Hope this helps in some small way

Kind Regards

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
SergioB
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

We use the

VDI environment for a GIS Application and it’s running really good. Some

Problems that we ran in to was, some additional application Files had to be

stored locally and not on a network storage! Additional things like resolution

settings and bandwidth have to be checked also, and are very important to the

performance of the App. but if you not work over ISDN it’s very good to work with. what is you setup for the XP Client?

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
nasterizer
Contributor
Contributor

The XP setup is pretty much the basic configuration being XPSP2 with 1 CPU and 1GB memory. I am using BusLogic driver but from what i read it shouldnt have any side effects. The main problem I have is that when any of these apps are running you get that screen hopping effect when you try scrolling/zooming where the image hops across the screen rather than simply moving as it should. also there is a slight latency in responsiveness of the app. Can you explain your setup a little?

0 Kudos
heybuzzz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Novell Client

Zenworks

Office 2003

Stedmans Abbr

SoftMed

MedHost

DS View

FormsFast

+ about 10 more I can't think of right now...

0 Kudos