VMware Horizon Community
swiftangelus
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VM Names not being recycled - non persistent pool

Hello all,

My first venture into this product and have been playing with the standard product first to get an idea of why we should look at using composer for future implementations. I am using View 4 for this.

I have been using a non persistent automated desktop pool with a small number in the VM Name, n:fixed=1. I have noticed 2 issues, one which looks like a problem for a while.

The first issue is that when using the delete after first use option, as I would in a kiosk situation, the vm deletes well and a new vm is provisioned. Great, until the VM Name gets to number 9. It does not start again at 1. Is this an issue with the product or something that I have misunderstood or configured?

The second issue is the old one of VMs adding duplicate entries (CNF) into AD users and computers when using the customisation. I have looked at this and am testing using netdom instead which seems to work. The query have is how are people managing the old computer accounts? as they are not deleted. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ironcheflouie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi swiftangelus.

Did you ever find out what the deal is with dup computernames in AD? I just started using View 4 and created an auto persistent pool of 6, then increased to 9. I noticed odd looking computers names (dups) for the 5th and 7th one.

If anything, I would have expected issues with 7 - 9.

Thx

0 Kudos
rosspcs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So have you checked the logs sometimes its a problem because the account used for creating the computer accounts does not have the rights to delete or modify, there are some built in account restrictions in AD - assuming you are not using a domain admin account for this purpose.

0 Kudos
ironcheflouie
Contributor
Contributor

Thx for the reply. I am actually using a domain admin account. I wonder if it is a timing thing of some sorts, AD replication, etc.

Are you using View 4? If so, how do you like it?

I'm new to it, but seems pretty interesting thus far.

0 Kudos