VMware Horizon Community
DePerro
Contributor
Contributor

VIew 4.5 Local Mode

I am working on a small pilot (10 users) using View 4.5 with local mode. I am wondering if anyone has some good resources (besides the VMware published guides) that talks about some specifics regarding check-in and check-out. I did some testing and it didn't work the way I would have expected. The inital download was as I expected (multi gig download). What I was suprised about was the 11 GB upload on a system that only had a desktop icon changed. Do the images have to be completely upload back to the server or am I doing something wrong? Seems like only the changes would need to be checked in.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

the upload would only be differnetial only. even for the download it is compressed and it's resumable. chould you try a few multple check out and see if the differential would kick in?

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

DePerro
Contributor
Contributor

I tired it again and I had the same result. I wasn't able to fully check it in so I will post more after I check it in for the first time. I did tell it to do a backup before the checkin and that only backed up 156 MB so that is what I expected.

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

Any particular reason why the full check in is not possible?

iDLE-jAM | VCP 2, VCP 3 & VCP 4

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
ezzeldin72
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The initial download requires copying the entire VM down, but when checking back in, only the deltas are uploaded.

the list of verification for local mode as i have:-

Verify that you have a license for the View with Local Mode component.

Verify that the vCenter Server account has administrator privileges.

Install View Transfer Server and add it to a View Connection Server.

If using linked clones, configure a Transfer Server repository.

Verify that all desktop sources are managed by vCenter Server.

If using linked clones, publish the base images of the desktops as a package in the View Transfer Server repository.

Set View policies for local-mode use.

Direct end users to install View Client with Local Mode software.

For automated pools:

Use dedicated assignment.

Include only desktops intended to be used in local mode.

Ezzeldin Hussein | MBA| VCAP-DCA/DCD | VCI Level II | VCP-DCV/DT/CMA/NX | VCA/VSP/VTSP | vExpert Team Lead, Systems Engineering, NALE | Member of CTO Ambassador Program.  Business Central Tower A, Dubai Internet City, Dubai, POB 500569 Mobile(EG): +20106 5533 950 Mobile(UAE): +971 56 9095 106 Mobile(OM): +968 9066 0533
0 Kudos