VMware Horizon Community
newpond
Contributor
Contributor

VDi Bandwidth Usage

Does anyone one know how to size up network bandwidth within a VDI environment.

Whilst I am aware that serveral factors are involved we are looking at a basic Windows XP with office installation.

I would like to know roughly what the min and max throughput that would be required so that I can calculate my wan bandwidth.

Also does anyone have any good experiences with expand or exinda traffic acceleration?

thanks

0 Kudos
4 Replies
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

From my testing, I've seen about an average of 56kb (note thats kb and not kB). This was also with XP theme on/ background enabled, etc.

0 Kudos
newpond
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this.

is that using RDP? and does that include printing etc. ie is this an average based on stats gathered over time or at a single moment that you tested?

Usually RDP takes about 25kbs but only in normal usage ie without printing.

Am I right in saying that VDI only supports ICA and RDP protocols?

thanks

Jon

0 Kudos
tbrouwer
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

That did not incluce printing, etc.

I have an entire remote site that is running pure vdi ... I will do some monitoring and get a good baseline number.

VDI supports whatever your terminals support and whatever connection software you have running in your XP VDI sessions.

0 Kudos
rvantipalli
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

RDP bandwidth varies between 25Kbps to 1Mbps. It depends on what kind of application you are trying to use. If the user can access the application on 16 bit color it will take less bandwidth.

If the user wants 24 bit color and try to access graphics images (jpeg/gif), powerpoint presentations and Adope PDF documents the bandwidth utilization is more.

0 Kudos