VMware Horizon Community
SergioB
Contributor
Contributor

VDN Customization issues

Hi all,

I'm currently using the customization option in VC 2.0.1 to create VM's used with VDM 2.0.

I know it is using Sysprep and I need to edit the join Domain functions so it not only puts the XP in to the Domain, but also in to the right OU. This way I can automate the GPO Policy settings for the Computers like Logon scripts dedicated to different Pools in the VDM 2.0 Broker.

For example here are the Sysprep commands:

JoinDomain=xxxxx

DomainAdmin=xxxxx

DomainAdminPassword=xxxxxx

MachineObjectou="OU=Computers,OU=VDI,DC=Domain,DC=int"

Is there a way to edit the answer file generated with the customization tool in VC or is it possible to edit the XML or anything else to do so? Importing the sysprep.inf file has the disadvantage of not being able to use the VC specific settings in the customization wizard and will not work for our purposes.

Thanks

Sergio

0 Kudos
4 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Moved to the more appropiate Virtual Desktop Manager forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Systemdrift
Contributor
Contributor

I found VDM 2.0 very interesting at VMworld Europe 2008, but I'm having the same issue as SergioB.

I guess I could create machine accounts at the correct location in our AD before cloning, but this seems a bit cumbersome and prone to get errors.

As sysprep has the MachineObjectOU, this would be nice to have as an advanced setting in the customization as well.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ferryl
Contributor
Contributor

HI

I did export the custumisation file to a xml file and to get the OU setting correctly into the XML file

Did you get this working ....... and if so do you have a example for me

I did try this line ( without xxx )

<MachineObjectOU>OU=vdi xxx workstations,OU=xxx,OU=vdi,DC=xxx,DC=net</MachineObjectOU>

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you use a customer sysprep file, the broker cant set the names when using a pool in VDM/View. This happens when using Template and Full clones. in this case you need to run a script (cmd,vbs)after provisioning and add the virtual desktop to the domain then.

With linked clone pools you can directly push desktops into OUs. This affects View 3.0

0 Kudos