VMware Horizon Community
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDMADMIN.exe unable to assign users to a desktop

Hey guys,

I had this problem in View 3.0.x and I was hoping it would be fixed in the new version but it's not.

I'm trying to assign users to desktops ahead of time, for example:

vdmadmin.exe -L -d poolName -m machineName -u UserName

When I run this, the first user works fine. When I attempt to do this with another user, the field remains blank and I get the following error in the Event log:

Error retireving user for SID S-1-5-.....<etc>

Has anyone else encountered this error? I've tried rebooting the connection server, restarting services, etc... to no avail.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I confirm this bug on 3.1 also.

-

If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.

----- If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.
0 Kudos
dcerri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1288801

can you please let me know if youe error comes from a situation similar to this other thread.

Dcerri

0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The error is similar, however I am able to reproduce this error regularly and without using newly created accounts. I seriously doubt this is because the ADAM cache is out of date with the real AD. I can create accounts in AD before I even install the View Connection Server and replicate this bug.

0 Kudos
dcerri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, adam cache out of date doesn't mean much. tell me if you are following this process.

1) create users into AD.

2) run command to a clean installation of view server, with a clean adam instance.

if this gives you problems, then you have a real serious problem. If the problem exists only on a view server where ADAM data had operations (ex. created pools, entitled users, deleted desktops etc..) then let me know this.

Did you ever accessed or modified ADAM data directly?

Was the user that you are trying to entitle previouslyassigned a desktop?

It looks like you are looking for a SID entry and it is not found into the ADAM data, then it fails to retreive it from AD.

0 Kudos
jbrazio
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But it's possible to force ADAM by command line or any other method to

retreive the SID from AD and store them on the forign ADAM cache ?

----- If you find this post helpful please don't forget to award points to it.
0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

dcerri:

1) Created AD accounts

2) Installed clean VMware View Connection Server install

3) Created pool of desktops

4) Tried to assign users to a certain VM using VDMADMIN.exe

5) first user works, subsequent users give the SID error.

0 Kudos
dcerri
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

can you zip the logs and post them so i can see what is happening. Also when you installed a clean View did you make sure you removed any ADAM instance? If you uninstall View and then reistall on the same VM ADAM will not be removed, unless you go in the control paned and you remove from the program list manually. (just double checking)

0 Kudos
justin_emerson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

dcerri,

I used a new VM cloned from template, so yes it's a fresh ADAM install.

I will post logs next time I go through the exercise.

0 Kudos
steveos
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How is this pool entitled? Via group or individual users?

0 Kudos
StephL
Contributor
Contributor

Steveos I think you have put your finger on the problem, when I create group entitled persistent pools (View 3.1) whether linked clones or non-linked clones, eventually the assignemnt of users to VMs is not displayed anymore in View administrator and I get "error retrieving user for SID ..." messages in the event log. If I entitle users directly to a pool, the problem does not seem to appear. Really wish a way to fix this appears, this is pretty key if you intend to provision large pools.

0 Kudos