VMware Horizon Community
spchurchill
Contributor
Contributor

VDM sessions freezing for several seconds at random times

I'm trialing VDM and having a couple of teething problems: I've got 8 users on 8 VMs hosted on a couple of ESX 3.5 hosts but all VMs are hosted on one LUN on our MSA1500.

The users have a stripped down Windows 2000 SP4 machine locally that automatically logs onto the network and presents them with the VDM client login box. They are then provided with one of the WinXP SP2 VMs.

Quite a few of the users are complaining that the machine freezes several times a day for a few seconds each time. I have checked and the processor and memory of the VM are not near their limits when this happens. The users don't seem to be having the problem at the same time.

I've looked at http://communities.vmware.com/message/691508#691508 but the MS patch is not for Win2k client machines.

On a slightly different note: a lot of the users are also complaining that the XP VM is slower than their old physical Win2k machine. The processor may be slightly slower but the VM's memory is 768mb rather than 512mb on the physical PCs. The processor may be ever so slightly slower but we're not doing any processor-itensive tasks. The ESX hosts don't seem to be stressed at all (in fact, DRS is suggesting we shut one of them down) but we're still getting poor performance.

Have any of you come across anything similar to either of the cases above?

Many thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos
1 Reply
spchurchill
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

For others that may be experiencing the same problem, it turned out to be something in WinXP that was causing a disk usage spike every now and then and, because it was on a RAID 6 LUN the SAN couldn't keep up with so many VMs having the spike at the same time. Since then I've moved them to a RAID 0+1 LUN (and significantly increased the number of VMs) and they're running fine.

The VMs still have the disk spike but because of the LUN config it doesn't cause a problem. Try as I might I can't find what is causing the spike in the first place.

0 Kudos