VMware Horizon Community
aemendoza
Contributor
Contributor

VDM folder in users profile cannot be deleted

I was deleting some profiles on a vm and got the error message that the VDM folder could not be accessed or deleted. This occurred even as an administrator. I tried going through the security settings but could not figure out how a folder could be created where the administrator was completely locked out of it. While not a life or death situation the fact that as an adminisrator I can't delete a profile is disconcerning and most likely bite me later. Is there a reason why this happens or a way to resolve it?

the folder location is C:\Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Application Data\VMware\VDM

Any ideas?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I've had issues like this where a file was in use even though the error message didn't clearly state that.   As a first response type of thing I always give the VM a good reboot and try again in case the file was in use. 

0 Kudos
aemendoza
Contributor
Contributor

I have rebooted a few times already but its of no use. I even stopped the view agent service for good measure and it still wont budge.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can try taking ownership of the folder structure and reassigning permissions or just login as that user and check things out.   

0 Kudos
g0dMAn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm having the same problem.  This is very annoying for floating pools.  We have dozens of profiles that we need to clean up and I have to manually log into each VM via console (vSphere) to take ownership and then delete.  This is a ton of wasted time.... quite annoying I must say... The "VDM" directory should have the local admin and/or SYSTEM user group with full permissions.  The "VDM" folder is the only one of all products in app/local data that doesn't have the local admin with full rights.

0 Kudos