VMware Horizon Community
Nuclearice
Contributor
Contributor

VDM and Macintosh 10.5.X

I am still having the same issue I had back in January.

On my machines that have 10.5.3 installed, I hit our webpage for the vdm, and it starts and then it stops on the requirements not met screen.

Requirements not met

VMware VDM Web Access requires Java version 1.5 or above

Click here to install the latest version of Java

If you believe you have Java installed, please ensure you have the Java browser plugin enabled and that you have trusted the applet signed by "VMware, Inc".

I have java 1.5 installed:

$ java -version

java version "1.5.0_13"

Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_13-b05-237)

Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_13-119, mixed mode, sharing)

The weird thing is I have this working on my home machine, which is a Dual 2.0 Ghz G5 PowerPC based machine. it works absolutely perfect. I have yet to get this to work on a intel based mac and 10.5.X.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander

Hi Nuclearice, I had a look at your original thread (http://communities.vmware.com/thread/124143), this sounds like a problem not with Java itself but with the Java plugin in the browser - what do you get as a result of going to the Sun Java test page at http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml ?

0 Kudos
Nuclearice
Contributor
Contributor

I comes back and confirms I am running mac os.

Vender: Aplpe, Inc.

Version 1.5.0_13

Operating System: Mac OS X

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

My first suspicion would be that your security settings are preventing signed applets running. Can you look in your Java preferences (Applications\Utilities\Java\J2SE 5.0\Java Preferences) and check the Security settings under the advanced tab. Also, if you select "Show console" under "Java console", this will display a bit more information when you try to run the applet (or not if it isn't being initialised).

Are you using Safari or Firefox? To narrow down the cause of your problem, it might be worth trying in the other browser?

Cheers,

Tom

0 Kudos
Nuclearice
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Tom,

I have tried Firefox 2.0.0.14 and Safari 3.1.1. I have attached the java security settings screen shots...the console doesn't appear when I run FF 2.0.0.14 or Safari 3.1.1. it did pop up for the 1.5.0.7 of course as it met the requirements.

I just got to thinking and loded up an old version of Firefox, 1.5.0.7 and that works....It gets by the requirements not met screen. But Safari still is a no go. I don't see anything I can / should / could set differently in Safari. It's a pretty stock install. Even tried it on one of my OS X Servers. And installed FF 2.0.0.14 on that server as well...both not working there.

Willing to try any ideas people have.

I will try to see if I can find out what settings are different in FF 1.5.0.7 and the 2.0.0.14.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

When using FF 2, does anything appear in the status bar? Something along the lines of "applet notinited".

Have you tried other sites using signed applets? Given that the Java.com test worked, I'm still thinking it has something to do with that.

Cheers,

Tom

0 Kudos