VMware Horizon Community
pcomo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDM and DHCP MAC address

Hi,

actually we are implementing VDM2 POC and we encoutered a problem with DHCP.

Our customer assign IP address per MAC address and we cannot known MAC address before VM are created by VDM pool process.

The question is how can we assign a range of MAC address to a VDM pool (00:50:56:XX:YY:ZZ)?

Can we modify some config files on VCS or ESX to force MAC address assignment to use for example a MAC beginnig with 00:50:56:ab:ba:XX?

What is the greyed option in Customization wizard naming "use a custom application with virtualcenter server to generate IP"?

idea?

it will be a great feature for VDM to have a option to generated a range of MAC address for a Desktiops pool according with VCS DB and MAC address attribution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
beres_robert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem. The company's DHCP works only with predefined MAC addresses.

So in that way, I can not implement VDM pools.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MAHC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I had a few min on my lunch break and did some looking for you to see what i could find and the best thing that I can find for the 30 min that I took to look is to create a script to run at systems first boot that is set to look at the PC name and change the associated registry key that holds the MAC address for that device to the mac address needed to get the address.

Other than that you could ditch the DHCP reservations and just use a pooling method. I hope this is of some help.

mike_laspina
Champion
Champion

Hi,

It is possible to script what you want but it is a significant effort using the VMware toolkits. You would need to write a monitor script that scans the VM names and checks the vmx files for a MAC address matching to a list of valid addresses. If the address was not found you would shut the VM down assign the MAC to the VM and power it back up.

What you could do for now is use a persistent pool and set the MAC manually in the created VM settings properties.

http://blog.laspina.ca/ vExpert 2009
pcomo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

Thanks for your information but i knows that.

What we need it's that we will can assign a range of MAC address directly through the VDM broker, we don't want to change MAC in Windows registry or whatever. Most of our customer at Luxembourg used this type of works to assign IP or put client into a antivirus group or whatever.

In the customization wizards of virtualcenter we can see an option which is not enable naming "third apllication installed on virtualcenter to assign name" or "ip address", any idea about this?

thanks.

0 Kudos