VMware Horizon Community
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

VDM+VDI over iSCSI

Hi There,

I was just wondering if someone has done any peformace testing on ESX 3.5 + VDM over iSCSI for light XP users?

Thanking you in advance,

rgds,

J.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
pcomo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We have installed VDM desktops on iSCSI VMFS through SanMelody (Datacore software) since one month and we have no problem with performance at this time.

jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks pcomo for your feedback.

Do you mind me asking how many VDI desktops are you running in your environment?

rgds

J.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

iSCSI will provide adequate performance and should scale well too. Are you planning on using hardware initiators or the software initiator that comes with ESX? Have you given any thought to the amount of VM's you will be placing per LUN?

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
pcomo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

We are using a iSCSI card into ESX server and we have at this time about 30 VM on the Datastore (12 VM Desktops for Office works, 12 Desktops for Private Application, VCS, VDM and some VM Desktops for test).

0 Kudos
jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi mittim12,

I would be using sw initiators. I guest that 10-12 VMs per LUNs would be a good baseline to start with?

rgds,

Thanks

J.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I think that will be fine to start with and you should be able to increase that number to 20 or maybe more. Check out the link below for some information on using multiple targets in an effort to distribute the iSCSI traffic over multiple NICS.

• If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

jose_maria_gonz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks for your help and info folks. much appreciated.

rgds,

J

0 Kudos