VMware Horizon Community
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

VDM/VDI licencing requirements

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get some costings associated with implementing a VDI solution. The proposed setup would require 2 VDM servers (1 physical security server in DMZ,1 virtual VDM sitting on ESX local connections) , 3x4 socket ESX nodes (VI3 Ent), 200VDI XP's, physical VC (W2003,SQL2005 Full). AD and the RSA already exist. Are the licences i am proposing we need OK or have I missed anything. Do I definately need 2 VDM licences?

Virtual Center W2003 x86 STD 1

Virtual Center SQL2005 1

VDM server DC VMware VDM 1

VDM security server VMware VDM 1

ESX servers VMware VI3 Enterprise, inc HA, DRS 6

XP desktops VDI CAL 200

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your licensing is all wrong I am afraid, but easily fixed.

VDM itself is licensed per concurrent user and you can purchase different starter packs in sets of 10 or 100. You can run as many VDM servers as you want (you will have to license the windows OS though) to run your configuration. Now if this VMware environment is going to only be running desktops you can also get all of the ESX licenses included, regardless of how many ESX hosts you are going to run.

Check out

http://www.vmware.com/products/vdi/howtobuy.html

However be aware that VDM3 is being released soon and the licensing model changes a bit. I suggest you contact VMware or a good VMware Partner and get them to assist you. Or jump back here if you have any specific questions. But you are going to want to review which type of license you will want for VDM3. I would say more but I am not sure whats public.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
tarnett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You don't have to use full blown sql if your implementation is going to remain relatively small. If it is the beginning of a extremely large roll out then include the full sql server.

Tony Arnett

Sr. System Engineer

Pentair Water Pool and Spa

1620 Hawkins Ave.

Sanford NC, 27303

Office: 919 566 8003

Fax: 919 566 8910

tony.arnett@pentairwater.com

Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Tony,

thanks for the response. I definately need SQL2005 full flavour as there is a chance that the solution will be expanded so SQL Express is only scalable to 5 nodes and has limited functionality wrt backup etc. My question was more concerning the requirement to have a virtual VDM server as part of the EULA for VDM I believe that you are allowed to have on server based VM there and the fact that both VDM servers will require licences or is there a less expensive way to achieve this 2 VDM solution? Additioanlly for the number of desktops I am proposing to roll out may grow to more than 200 desktops when would I have a requirement to impolement a second VDM server in the DMZ for load balancing?

0 Kudos
tarnett
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok cool so far you have what you need. Have a good turkey day

Tony Arnett

Sr. System Engineer

Pentair Water Pool and Spa

1620 Hawkins Ave.

Sanford NC, 27303

Office: 919 566 8003

Fax: 919 566 8910

tony.arnett@pentairwater.com

0 Kudos
Rodos
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your licensing is all wrong I am afraid, but easily fixed.

VDM itself is licensed per concurrent user and you can purchase different starter packs in sets of 10 or 100. You can run as many VDM servers as you want (you will have to license the windows OS though) to run your configuration. Now if this VMware environment is going to only be running desktops you can also get all of the ESX licenses included, regardless of how many ESX hosts you are going to run.

Check out

http://www.vmware.com/products/vdi/howtobuy.html

However be aware that VDM3 is being released soon and the licensing model changes a bit. I suggest you contact VMware or a good VMware Partner and get them to assist you. Or jump back here if you have any specific questions. But you are going to want to review which type of license you will want for VDM3. I would say more but I am not sure whats public.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

you have got your head cocked regaring VDM licensing it is based on a client user count, the VDM connection brokers do not enter to the equation. you can have 1 or a 1000 there is no extra cost

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
Cameron2007
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification guys. That's great Smiley Happy

0 Kudos