VMware Horizon Community
proden20
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

VDM Noob Questions

- I have an EMC CX3-40F FC SAN that to my knowledge does not support "virtual provisioning." The OS image I would like to deploy is about 30GB in size. When I use VDM, the VC clones full copies of this 30GB VM for the # of machines in the pool. I have seen this "virtual provisioning" technology spin machines off in 32KB snapshots. How to I attain that technology with what I have to minimize the footprint on the SAN?

- AD Question: Will VDM disjoin the VM from the domain if it is set to destroy the machine after first use?

- Do the VDM options override the group policy RDP options I already have in place?

- Where can one allow/deny remapping of local resources with VDM Web Access?

- What is the "Use this desktop for thin clients" checkbox under "preferences" all about? Currently we are connecting with standard PC's, I'd figure it would behave the same if the user is using a web browser.

- What are the popular add-ons for VDM to allow for improved provisioning options?

- Existing VM's seem to work with VDM even though they do not have the agent installed. What is the difference between a system with/without the agent?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

• I have an EMC CX3-40F FC SAN that to my knowledge does not support "virtual provisioning." The OS image I would like to deploy is about 30GB in size. When I use VDM, the VC clones full copies of this 30GB VM for the # of machines in the pool. I have seen this "virtual provisioning" technology spin machines off in 32KB snapshots. How to I attain that technology with what I have to minimize the footprint on the SAN?

There are several technologies that one can utilize from a space requirement standpoint. The only one I know of with EMC is the use of snapped clones which we use on our NAS devices. (not sure if this is available on SANS) .

Netapp has flex clones and dedup available in their product lines. note the use of cloning technologies will not allow you to utilize the built in provisioning tools of VDM and you will have to perform some scripting to register the VM's and bring them into the pools.

• AD Question: Will VDM disjoin the VM from the domain if it is set to destroy the machine after first use?

Not sure about this since we don't use this option but if not maybe you could script something to unjoin when the user iniates a shutdown or logoff command.

• Where can one allow/deny remapping of local resources with VDM Web Access?

This can be done through the GP admin files provided with the VDM install or by using the TS GPO

• What are the popular add-ons for VDM to allow for improved provisioning options?

We use different scripts to join the domain, move to the correct OU, and other items. Not sure about any third party tools that are available.

• Existing VM's seem to work with VDM even though they do not have the agent installed. What is the difference between a system with/without the agent?

Agent provides Single sign on on features as well as USB redirection.