VMware Horizon Community
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDM Desktop question

New to VDN and maybe just not understanding. I created an individual deskop and added an XP image. I was able to connect via VDM client and our Wyse V10L thin client. I edited the desktop and added a Vista VM. Is there a way from the VDM client and/or Wyse client to control which VM I attach to at logon? Or is there a way to switch between VMs. Or should I have created a desktop for each VM? If I used two desktops I can see how I could decide using the VDM client. I don't see that control with the Wyse. Wyse docs state there is no way to select desktop from a list. Some of our user will be in need to access different VMs and need a way to select which one they want to work with.

Craig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Wyse docs state there is no way to select desktop from a list.

This is no longer the case with recent Wyse ThinOS revisions, take a look at our Thin Client Compatibility Guide for more information. You need to make sure that you have more than one desktop set up and you've cleared the 'default desktop' flag for the user before the Wyse devices give you a choice, otherwise they'll go straight in.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DolanDK
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In our office the only way we have been able to adjust what VDI session the Wise client goes to has been to logon to a PC and start the VDI login process but before we fully connect we open the options for the guess session that we want to use and check the box "Use this Desktop for Thin Clients".

It adds an extra step or three but without a browser interface on the V10L that is all we have.

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Create two Pools, one Vista one XP and entitle both to the same group of users. this will then present the user with a choice, with in the VDM web enviroment once logged on. Not too sure about when leveraging the VDM cleint directly though.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Wyse docs state there is no way to select desktop from a list.

This is no longer the case with recent Wyse ThinOS revisions, take a look at our Thin Client Compatibility Guide for more information. You need to make sure that you have more than one desktop set up and you've cleared the 'default desktop' flag for the user before the Wyse devices give you a choice, otherwise they'll go straight in.

0 Kudos
cef2lion
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I created a desktop per VM. One for XP and one for Vista. The V10L Wyse is running 6.2.0_08. VMD is 2.1.0 build-596. When I logon the VDM broker on the Wyse I'm now presented with a desktop that has connection icons to each of my desktop. Thanks. That worked.

In VDM. What is the purpose of having one desktop and adding more then one VM to the desktop?

Craig

0 Kudos
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Craig-

If you have multiple users that all need to access the same desktop template (let's say a call center group), then creating a pool with multiple users/VMs can automate the task of building and allocating VMs.

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP
0 Kudos