I'm currently evaluating VMWare VDI for my diploma thesis. All went fine, when I was using the software versions 2.0 of the VDM components. 3 days ago, there was an update to 2.1. I updated the Connection Server, the templates for the virtual machines and the clients. I can still connect to my old 2.0 machines
I tried to create a new pool using the new template. Everything goes on so far until the summary screen appears to finish. When I click the finish button I get an ADAM data error on top of the summary page an the process of creating the pool freezes.
Does anyone have a clue what is the problem?
Thread moved to the more appropiate VDM forum
VMware Communities User Moderator
We are evaluating VDI for a 500 user deployment... just upgraded to 2.1 flawlessly but are now experiencing this same error upon trying to add another VDI. Are we allowed to create a support case during a product evaluation ?
I'm sorry you're having this problem. When you say "add another VDI" what is this? Are you adding a new desktop pool with VDM Administrator?
This may be an upgrade issue from 2.0 to 2.1. If possible, can you try uninstalling VDM Connection Server software (but not the ADAM instance) and then doing a clean install. Your configuration data will be preserved as long as you don't remove the ADAM instance.
If that doesn't solve it, I'll want to ask you for some additional information.
"add another VDI" = adding a new precreated VM to VDM and associating it with a user.
We have 2 VDM servers for redundancy and both experience this issue.
I'll go ahead and uninstall both keeping the ADAM and try the reinstall.
So, uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help anything. After install error came back. Took it down to one node, uninstalled/reinstalled, same thing there as well. Setup third replica node and same thing. Resorted to using the export/import process defined in http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vdm_config_data_export_import.pdf . Exported, uninstall VDM, uninstall ADAM instance, reinstall VDM/ADAM instance, import "dump" everything is fine. I looked in ADSIEdit and didn't see anything obviously wrong. Strange. Couldn't spend alot of time troubleshooting since today was one of the "demo" days of VDI. Had to get it up ASAP.