VMware Horizon Community
hbaes
Contributor
Contributor

VDM Connection delays

Hi together

today we encountered a strange behavour:

We use hardend XP Sp2 Clients as a kind of temporary thin-client for connect via VDM Client 2.0.403 to the Connection Broker.

The Clients have no Desktop (removed Shell/Exlorer) and use the Auto Administration login and a service-account (guest-rights).

If we start connect through the VDM Client using a LOCAL Service account the behavour is like following:

window coming up to choose the Connection Broker Server.

click

delay 30-60 seconds

If we use a domain user all 3 above delays are missing on the same machine !!

We tested in different environments, with GPO´s, without GPO´s, with SSL Connection, without SSL-Connections, everytime the

same situation. Also if the local User have local Admin rights its the same ...

Have anyone any hints for us ????

Harald

(sry for bad english Smiley Wink)

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
markbenson
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Herald,

I suspect that there will be network settings differences depending on if the user is a domain user or not. This could be proxy settings or DNS settings etc.

Log on as each type of user (domain and local) and compare these settings. From a command prompt run "ipconfig /all" and compare output.

This will be a network issue and nothing to do with VDM. IMHO Smiley Happy

BTW. Your English is excellent!

Mark.

0 Kudos
hbaes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Mark,

sry this makes no differences ´cause all data is always either static (with dns suffix too) or dynmaic coming from dhcp.

and this data is not user-driven ..

but i found another difference; the local user hisself has no profile, cause the local user never ever logged in fully (via explorer).

(as i said above this are hardened Workstations)

I´ll try this out ...

Harald

0 Kudos
hbaes
Contributor
Contributor

Okay no hope Smiley Sad

it makes no difference if the user starting the vdm_client has a profile or not Smiley Sad

what i found out now, maybe someone can test this too:

i created a local guest user on my domain machine.

logged on fully (not hardened) as this local user.

start the vdm client and no delay is there ...

then i rebooted logged on as my normal domain account.

start the vdm client via "runas" as the same local user.

.. the delay is back again ... :-(((

a litte bit more background:

on our hardened client we have no full explorer. @ winlogon\shell (reg HKLM...) we replaye the explorer.exe with a self written vdm_client watchdog.

(this vbs starts the vdm_client and checks every 2 seconds if the process is still alive, otherwise the script restarts the vdm_client (if a bad user closed it))

this script works fine.

Harald

0 Kudos
pchawla
Contributor
Contributor

There may be an issue with proxy settings for domain and local users. VDM Client uses IE network settings to connect to the server. If there is a proxy server configured please test if connecting though proxy is different from connecting by bypassing the proxy server (by adding the VDM server name in the exceptions list).

Let me know if this helps.

- Puneet

0 Kudos
hbaes
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Puneet

sorry no difference if you use similar the same (empty) Proxy Settings.

Harald

0 Kudos
thaxtonc
Contributor
Contributor

Did you get anywhere with this? I've just opened a case with VMWare on the same issue.

0 Kudos