VMware Horizon Community
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

VDM Client vs. RDP Client

Hello. I'm evaluating VDM 2.0 and am wondering about the Individual Desktop option. There was a plan for us to initially use the Individual Desktop option and assign XP VM's to users (VM's to be used as second computers for testing). The users would connect to the VM's using the VDM client from their physical machine. Besides power state management and support for USB devices, are there any other advantages to using VDI with Individual Desktop/VDM client instead of just using the XP RDP client on the physical machine to connect to the VM's?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
fejf
Expert
Expert

Depending on your use there might be more than one reason to go with VDM: If you have offsite-users (e.g. branch office) you can use VDM's Security Server to remotely connect to your VMs in a secure and easy way. Another advantage is that VDM can create your VMs on demand (with normal VMs + RDP the admin user needs to create the VMs for every user). If one user uses more than one VM the VDI-Client provides an easier way of switching between the desktops. An alternative is the Web-Client which works in browsers (normally very useful for thin-clients but there may be advantages for fat-clients too)

That are the advantages that cross my mind (beside the PM/USB option that you already mentioned).

--

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.

-- There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and the rest. And those who understand gray-code.
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

With the VDM / VDM Client the administrator can centralized entitle virtual desktops to the users. When you are using the RDP client you have to the the user the virtual desktops IP or hostname or you have to manage loads of *.rdp files.

0 Kudos
zshani
Contributor
Contributor

i am a little confused here.

I have a datacentre hosting VMs. My users will connect via remote office. The remote office is another WAN site, means they are on a different WAN subneta and are using another internt connection to conenct to CO. Will they b able to connect and use VM by using RDP from there fat clients.

What the difference here RDP and VDM client is gonig to make. My understanding is not so good at this stage so i am a bit confused. OR if some body can propse me how i can deploy the network infr at the datacentre site. I have 5 live IPs. Should i give live IP to my connection broker or to the VMs. How can i do this ? Give me some idea ?

Thanks for every help

0 Kudos
epping
Expert
Expert

hi

OK the VDM solution uses RDP , if you want to connect from the internet VDM offers a basic SSL solutution (licensing nightmare from MS over this). If you are comming in over the WAN you do not require the SSL if the WAN is trusted.

What are u trying to acheive in your solution.

thanks

0 Kudos
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

I basically have 80 users with physical desktops. They are going to get virtual desktops for dev/testing. They're all onsite in the same building so I'm wondering if I should buy VDM and use the Individual Desktops deployment and have users load the VDM client and connect that way or just forego buying VDM and let the users connect through the XP Remote Desktop Client. I may use pooling for other uses (training, guests, etc.) but not in the near future. Thanks.

0 Kudos
dmshirkeyNMB
Contributor
Contributor

Well even if you are going to be using indivdual desktops without VDM this means that your are going to have 80 workstations running at all times. Pretty good load. If you use the VDM and client you can have it power the VM on while the client is connecting. Takes a little longer but you will save on power and server resources.

0 Kudos