VMware Horizon Community
RobBuxton
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDM Agent install breaks network connectivity

Hi All,

We have found an interesting issue with the VDM Agent installation and our desktop builds.

When installing the VDM Agent and keeping the Enable the Remote Desktop Capability on this computer (which is the default) selected the process breaks network connectivity.

We end up with a desktop that can talk to the outside world (e.g. ping) but nothing can connect to the desktop from outside. RDP, Ping etc all fail.

We have monitored a server using ping throughout the VDM agent installation and as soon as the configuring RDP section of the installation phase is reached connectivity fails.

Installing the VDM Agent without the RDP capability enabled results in a working desktop. We then need to manually enable the Remote desktop functionality.

Any idea if others have seen this?.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AdrianT
Contributor
Contributor

Rob - did you ever find the answer?

I have exactly the same problem; however things were fine when I was using the 3.0 agent and I recently upgraded to View 3.0.1 with the newer agents.

I cannot ping the vm and certain internal websites (ie our default internal portal) don't work.

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Go to services.msc and see if the firewall has been enabled (it sounds like you may have had it off previously but not disabled -- the agent will restart the firewall service to open up ports it needs during installation).

0 Kudos
AdrianT
Contributor
Contributor

THANKS lbourque - it was the firewall service.

Do you know what specifically the installation opens up - in the Exceptions list I see:

IE, Network Diagnositcs, Remote Assistance, Remote Desktop, WMP

Thanks!

0 Kudos
lbourque
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

RDP would be the main one. IE, Network Diagnostics, Remote Assistance and WMP would probably be already defaults in your system.

0 Kudos