VMware Horizon Community
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDM 10 pack includes 1 esx license setup Question

Hi,

I undestand Vmware wants to seperate workstations from being ran on ESX'S that host server's. That being said if I do build one stand alone ESX server for that purpose

1) Do I add that server to our existing cluster HA/DRS ?

2) I could run the lone ESX server with a single licence host file, right, thus not needing to piggy back our cluster's license server?

3) Does the ESX server from the vdm pack require a SQL Express Instance? I'd assume so , right?

What have you other people done with your vdm 10 pack? Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You should be able to go into your VMware account and manage serial numbers. Once in there you can combine licenses together to create a single .lic file. Simply replace this new .lic file for your old one and restart the license server. Validate in the Admin section of VC and you should see one license for VI3 Ent for VDI.

When you add the VDI host into VC, you'll need to go into the Config tab for the host and use the Licensed Features section to set which ESX license to use.

Glad to help!

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

If you have VirtualCenter already set up, there is no (technical or licensing) reason you cannot put your VDI host into it. I would recommend putting it into a seperate cluster from your servers though, as the EULA for VI3 Ent. for VDI does not allow any servers besides VDM.

You could run the host as a stand alone host w/o using the license server, but if you already have a VC infrastructure, I'm not sure why you would want to do that.

ESX does not require a SQL instance itself. If you were to install a new instance of VirtualCenter (the VDI Starter Kit does come with a license for VC Foundation), then you would need a SQL instance, which could be Express or a full version. Be careful with this option though, as it will limit you to only three hosts.

Most of what I have seen is people creating a new cluster in their existing VC infrastructure and adding their VDI hosts into this new cluster.

~If you find this or any other post helpful, please award points. Also mark thread as answered if question was answered successfully.~ Brian Knudtson vExpert, VCP, VCAP
GFFG
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok I will setup esx 3.5 on the host, I will point the ESX host to our existing license server.

Will I require a new license file from Vmware?

I would like to use my existing VC to control the new ESX server and I will create a new cluster as you recommend which will isolate the server group from VDM group!

Awesome ! Thanks !

0 Kudos
knudt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

You should be able to go into your VMware account and manage serial numbers. Once in there you can combine licenses together to create a single .lic file. Simply replace this new .lic file for your old one and restart the license server. Validate in the Admin section of VC and you should see one license for VI3 Ent for VDI.

When you add the VDI host into VC, you'll need to go into the Config tab for the host and use the Licensed Features section to set which ESX license to use.

Glad to help!

0 Kudos