VMware Horizon Community
estela
Contributor
Contributor

VDI sizing tool

Dears,

I am very new to VMware world , I have an opportunity of VDI for 200 users, I don't know what question I have to ask to the customer, how to size, what consideration has to be taken care, if I miss anything my company has to pay for the rest so I join the community for the expert advise please help me,

Please do not route me to the partner I myself is a new becoming partner  I can do by myself but I need a little hints for the same, also what I know is that there is VMware VDI sizing tool can anyody route me to it and the guide how to operate the sizing tool.

Thanks

4 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Start by reading the articles on this site

Horizon | VMware

there is no sizing tool you can rely on if you don't understand what you need to support. There are multiple articles that touch on the topics you need to be able to understand.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

This is a suitable file for Horizon Calculation about VDI deployment on vSphere environment:

https://communities.vmware.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadBody/18924-102-1-24663/VDI%20Calculator-v...

So if you want to analyzing your VDI requirement please answer about following questions?

What is the OS version/build you required to use for your desktops (VMs)? and are they same? I means are they need same computing resources? It will provide information about how many Desktop pools you need for your company desktop environment.

Then you need to specify desktop types (full VM clone, Linked Clone, Instant Clone). Then you can estimate VDI server requirements, for example if you want to deploy Linked-Clone you need at least one server for Composer and one for its database.

Also you need to calculate total hardware requirement:

1. Computing resource (physical CPU and physical RAM for Horizon ESXi Cluster/Servers)

2. Storage space for VMDK of Desktops and it's required I/O to specify Datastore's Disk type (SAS, Flash-Based, ...)

3. Network Bandwidth (I/O) for your VMs to specify ESXi Uplink counts and speed of each adapter (total transmit rate)

Also you need to choose which type of VDI protocols you want to use: RDP, PCoIP or Blast? or Mixed ... and also specify is there any RDS farm? how many desktop they will?

and at last I think you need to recognize which type of VDI clients you want to use? (Zero client, Thin client, Desktop App, Web App or ...)

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
cheloa
Contributor
Contributor

The page you are trying to access was not found. Please check your URL for typos and try again.

There are some new link  ?????

0 Kudos
toffaha1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@cheloa 

this one is useful https://vdicalc.myvirtualcloud.net/ 🙂

BR,

Muhammad Toffaha

Best Regards,
Muhammad Toffaha
Technical Consultant