VMware Horizon Community
Charlie2
Contributor
Contributor

VDI or VDM

I have no experience with VMWare outside of a 2-day course in Virtual Technology by a local Community College. I am looking at a 60-day trial of VDI but the manuals assume the reader has VMWare knowledge.

I translated the materials into saying that VDI is a suite of components on the hosting end: VDM, VirtualCenter, ESX Server. Do I need all of these components? Does the VDM host the VMs or do you need the ESX Server for that? My immediate goal is to provide 3 personalized desktops over the internet through a service provider's SSL VPN connection. I was led to VDI but it seems to be an overkill if I need the VirtualCenter and all its requirements. Can you lead me down a sane path? Do I really need VirtualCenter or can I authenticate directly to VM hosting server? Whichever application that may be. Can multiple components reside on the same machine? If so which ones are compatible?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I have until December 1 to have a prototype solution in place.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Rodos
Expert
Expert

One piece of hardware will do what you want, if it has enough resources and you don't need HA.

You will need to run ESX on this (Standard or above). You will need to run a VC (as a VM) plus a VDM server (as a VM). If you are wanting to do remote connections you will also want another VDM server in a DMZ as a secure gateway. Then you will have your individual desktop machines. You will need to appropriate Microsoft licensing for each of these machines.

Considering awarding points if this is of use

Rodos {size:10px}{color:gray}Consider the use of the helpful or correct buttons to award points. Blog: http://rodos.haywood.org/{color}{size}
0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) on a high level is if you are running a desktop image as a virtual machine, you are running VDI.

VDM (Virtual Desktop Manager) at a high level is a proxy server/connetion broker. It requires virtual center, which in turn would require you to run ESX or ESXi.

A good starting point might be the below documents.

http://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/vdi_pubs.html

if you found this or any other post "helpful" or "correct" please consider awarding points by utilizing the buttons on the left.

0 Kudos