VMware Horizon Community
joaeri
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDI on single ESXi host

Currently we are running a eval of VDI on a single test built ESXi host. We also run a few server VM's on this host (So both server vm's and desktop vm's) and everything is running along well. Now the eval is running out and I'm trying to figure out what the best path for us is. I'm very happy with the current setup the only thing I want is a more robust host that is on the HCL so I have ordered a new HP DL380G5 Quad core 8GB.

Now to the problem. I want to run ESXi on this new host and the server vm's but I also want to run VDI on it and the desktop vm's it is using. I can buy the VDI starter kit but from my understanding so wont I be allowed to run any servers vms at all on the machine (Well except for a VM with VDM on it). Is this correct? Can I buy the starter kit but not use the VI server and only direct connect to the host or would this still invalidate the license?

The only other option I can see is to buy VDM 10 desktop licensens for $500 (Can you even buy only the VDM in 10 pack? On the "buy" page I only found VDM 100 pack) and VI foundation for $3700 for a total of $4200. But I can't justify the cost since this is for a single host where I can live with some downtime so I dont need vmotion, ha and the rest for the VDI clients.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware VDI Starter Kit for 10 Desktops + Gold (12x5) 1 Year Support $1,815.00

This does include a full copy of ESX enterprise licensed for Desktop OS's and Server OSes dedicated to VDM, that said it is a fully functional version of ESX. That said, there is nothing to stop you using ESXi as the base Hypervisor. this version does not have the imposed Limits so you should be able to run your other VMGuests with impunity. as you are licensed for both the 10 VDM desktops and the base OS is licensed with the ESXi license version.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You are right.

When you buy the VDI licenses, these include ESX, VC and the VDM license. But you are only allowed to run desktops on this environment.

With VI foundation and the included VC you can manage 3 hosts at a time.

Christoph

0 Kudos
thinkthin
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

One comment I would make is that yes there are 10 pack VDM you can buy but the price you had for fundation is incorrect, have a look in VM store as I belive the fondation cost is a third of the cost you had

Cheers,

-TT

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

VMware VDI Starter Kit for 10 Desktops + Gold (12x5) 1 Year Support $1,815.00

This does include a full copy of ESX enterprise licensed for Desktop OS's and Server OSes dedicated to VDM, that said it is a fully functional version of ESX. That said, there is nothing to stop you using ESXi as the base Hypervisor. this version does not have the imposed Limits so you should be able to run your other VMGuests with impunity. as you are licensed for both the 10 VDM desktops and the base OS is licensed with the ESXi license version.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos