VMware Horizon Community
AlexStern
Contributor
Contributor

VDI evaluation not working

I am evaluating VDI. I am at the point where I create assigment for VM to AD user

I created entitlement to AD user from VDM Manager.

I am trying to login to virtual machine using VDM client.

When I login with users credentials I see that he has virtual machine assignment but when I click connect

I see screen "The VDM Server in preparing the desktop" and then it times out with error message "The desktop has failed to open. The Desktop is currently not avlible"

This is what i see in the log of VDM server:

3:59:52,123 ERROR <VirtualCenterDriver-01d58c8c-1221-408f-8ae8-0998ac987fc5> Problem connecting to VirtualCenter at com.vmware.vdi.ob.broker.ae.b(SourceFile:284)

java.lang.Exception: Could not retrieve CustomizationSpecManager

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.broker.ae.b(SourceFile:268)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.broker.ae.<init>(SourceFile:157)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.broker.ae.a(SourceFile:117)

at com.vmware.vdi.ob.broker.de.run(SourceFile:1602)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I tried to contact VMware support but they don't provide support during evalaution.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

0 Kudos
10 Replies
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

Thread moved to the more appropiate VDM forum

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Have you installed Microsoft Sysprep into Virtual Center?

0 Kudos
AlexStern
Contributor
Contributor

no, i have not isntalled sysprep. is it required?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Yes. Sysprep is required for customisation of VMs by VirtualCenter.

0 Kudos
AlexStern
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure why i need to customize VM. I belive i have different issue. I can't conect to VM for which i creted entitlement in VDM with error message:

3:59:52,123 ERROR <VirtualCenterDriver-01d58c8c-1221-408f-8ae8-0998ac987fc5> Problem connecting to VirtualCenter at com.vmware.vdi.ob.broker.ae.b(SourceFile:284)

java.lang.Exception: Could not retrieve CustomizationSpecManager

Thanks

0 Kudos
dougdavis22
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Is there a firewall between your VDM Connection Server and your VDIs? Also, when you look on the Virtual Machines tab in the Admin interface, are they still showing as 'Customizing'? We had a similar issue because the required ports were not open to the VDM Connection Server couldn't talk to the VDM Agent in the VDI.

That's a good point - you have installed the VDM Agent on the VDI/template haven't you?

Doug.

0 Kudos
pchawla
Contributor
Contributor

Alex,

What permissions are you using to connect to Virtual Center? Looks like the user account you are using to connect to Virtual Center does not have permissions to access the Customization Specifications. VDM documentation has a section "Virtual Center permissions for VDM" that explains the set of permissions required for VDM to work.

-- Puneet

0 Kudos
pchawla
Contributor
Contributor

Yes - sysprep is required for customization. Before you use VDM can you login to the VI Client (using the same credentials you use from VDM to connect to Virtual Center) and deploy a VM from the template to make sure everything works.

0 Kudos
AlexStern
Contributor
Contributor

I was able to resolve the problem. Yes. It was related to persmissions. I am all set now. Thank you

0 Kudos
David_Wright
Contributor
Contributor

I've run into this same problem, after minutes of waiting for "The VDM Server is preparing the desktop..." it times out. Alex - if you remember, can you please tell me what your "permissions problem" was?

Thanks!

0 Kudos