VMware Horizon Community
Sean_VTC
Contributor
Contributor

VDI environment and video conferencing and streaming

Hi I am a newbie.

I wonder if this architecture would support realtime video and audio conferencing applications and if anyone has experience with a real deployment?

Can you run video chat or streaming in this environment?

Can you use a desktop H.323 client with a web cam is this environment?

Thanks for the replies is advance

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sgrinker
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sean

The problem will be two fold (and likely more), but a lot of that depends on what remote device (or Thin Client) you are using. First comes the current compatability with the webcam itself on the remote OS, and then not to mention the performance of the USB device back to the VM. The second issue is the multimedia performance on the remote device. Although a lot of multimedia enhancements are already out for VDI and other similar implementations, it still isn't on par with a local workstation. On top of all of that is the fact that RDP is not bi-directional for audio by itself. I believe some companies have allow for modifications or add-ons currently to allow for RDP audio in both directions.

Although it may be possible to configure something with multiple solutions/vendors. I don't think the available technologies are at a point that it would work right now. For what it's worth, we asked the very same questions about a year ago when first configuring our environment. Things have definitely progresses since then, but I don't think we are there just yet.

Thanks

Steve

Sean_VTC
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, well that is helpful....I guess I will check back on this later. I also mean to say thnx.

Smiley Wink

0 Kudos