VMware Horizon Community
RyanH84
Expert
Expert

VDI and vROPs multi-site setup question

Hi,

I'll try and keep this simple. We have 2 sites, each with its own independent VDI POD (3 node cluster for 150 VM's). Each site has it's own vROPs server (a master in Site1 and a data collector in Site2).

Within this POD, we are running 5 separate pools of linked clone VDI VM's sharing the same Gold Image. Each pool is in it's own AD Domain and therefore has its own Connection Servers, Composer Server and  Events DB's.

I am setting up vROPs 6 for Horizon View (we are on 5.3). I'm in a PoC test deployment at the moment and am following the vROPs for View documentation but it gets a little unclear and I'm not all that great with vROPs. The way I am looking to set this is up is:

1) Create a vROPs View Adapter for Site1.

2) Create a vROPs View Adapter for Site2.

3) Add in a connection server from each domain/site (5 in total) by installing the broker agent and connecting it, to it's site specific vROPs server.

4) Add in each VDI vCenter to each corresponding vROPs site server.

It is a little complicated but I just want to make sure I'm not WAAY off in what I'm trying to do and if it is the best course of action. The Horizon Documentation states "IMPORTANT Creating more than one View adapter instance per cluster node or remote collector is not supported. " Can I have multiple connection servers (same compute pod) connected to the same adapter?

If anyone can weigh in on this I'd appreciate it! If clearer explaination is needed, I'm happy to provide more info.

Cheers!

Ryan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RyanH84
Expert
Expert

Thought I'd update from my original post.

I've installed it all now as per my above post and I've set all of my connection server brokers  to talk to each corresponding View Adapter for it's own site. It all appears to be working fairly well!

I'm still not sure if it is the best practice way entirely, but it's working. Other than I cannot enter in our production vROPS Horizon 6 license or the data collectors stop collecting. Which was documented KB article I found, not great moving forward though!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Regards, Ryan vExpert, VCP5, VCAP5-DCA, MCITP, VCE-CIAE, NPP4 @vRyanH http://vRyan.co.uk