VMware Horizon Community
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VDI and Virtual Center patching

i just saw that there is a new patch for virtual center. and my question is when patching it what happens to VDI? because i know VDM talks to VC.

Stephen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you should be good to go.

The only caveat to this is if you are using Security Servers, if not and you are using LAN based connections through VDM, once they are connected they will stay connected

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

how do you have your VDM server setup, tunneling or direct connect If direct connect all VDM is used for is a proxy and will just pass you through and you will be fine. The update of VC will take maybe 15 minutes right? I think worst case scenario is that if a user is trying to connect with VDM while the VCMS instance is down is that you will get "desktop unavailable".

We patched our VCMS instances on Wednesday Night, at 6pm, and had no calls about desktops not being available. Your best bet is to patch when you think the least amount of traffic will be generated.

just my two cents.

Message was edited by: Troy Clavell

One other thing to add, if the users are connecting to their vPC's using anything other than the VDM Client, than there will be no impact at all.

Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

We are useing Tunneling to connect to the VM's. so what i am getting at it looks like the only impact will be if the user try's to logon to there VM and VC is down they will not be able to connect. but if they are already connected they should be fine.

Stephen

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

you should be good to go.

The only caveat to this is if you are using Security Servers, if not and you are using LAN based connections through VDM, once they are connected they will stay connected

0 Kudos
Speedbmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

all patched up and good to go Smiley Happy

0 Kudos