VMware Horizon Community
malebolgia
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDI Supported OS's

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding VDI, any feedback is appreciated:

• Is it true that VDI can only be installed on top of a Windows server?

• Does VDI support OS clients other than Windows (Linux client, BSD client, etc...)?

Goal:

Have clients connected to the VMware server via a VPN, and then have VMware create a VM for each user.

I was originally looking at ESX, but VDI seems to be more suited for this. Come to think about it, ESX may not even be able to do this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

• Is it true that VDI can only be installed on top of a Windows server

VMware's VDM 2.1 connection broker has to be installed on Windows 2003 Server Family. Here is a link to the admin document and the software requirements are listed on page 22. . Other VDI brokers may not require this but I don't have much experience with them. I seem to remember leostream offering an appliance for their broker.

• Does VDI support OS clients other than Windows (Linux client, BSD client, etc...)?

VMware VDM 2.1 supports 2000, XP, and Vista as connecting clients and they support XP and Vista as virtual machines to connect to. Not sure about the requriements of other brokers. This information can also be found in the link above.

I was originally looking at ESX, but VDI seems to be more suited for this. Come to think about it, ESX may not even be able to do this.

ESX or some other Virtualization technology is going to be a requirement to use any form of VDI. VDI is just the components that allow you to create,manage,allocate, and overall have users connecting to these VM's. Before you can get to that point you need some type of virtualization technology to host the VM's. I hope this helps.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

• Is it true that VDI can only be installed on top of a Windows server

VMware's VDM 2.1 connection broker has to be installed on Windows 2003 Server Family. Here is a link to the admin document and the software requirements are listed on page 22. . Other VDI brokers may not require this but I don't have much experience with them. I seem to remember leostream offering an appliance for their broker.

VMware VDM 2.1 supports 2000, XP, and Vista as connecting clients and they support XP and Vista as virtual machines to connect to. Not sure about the requriements of other brokers. This information can also be found in the link above.

ESX or some other Virtualization technology is going to be a requirement to use any form of VDI. VDI is just the components that allow you to create,manage,allocate, and overall have users connecting to these VM's. Before you can get to that point you need some type of virtualization technology to host the VM's. I hope this helps.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

0 Kudos
samweisds
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

do you know if its possible to install the VDI on a Windows 2008 Server? Cause my customer only has Win2008 machines running.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No it can't

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

VMware Communities User Moderator

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
samweisds
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm .. so you really need the W2k3 servers for it? Is there a plan to support W2k8 in the future and do you know when it could be?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would expect Windows2008 support for the Connection broker to be added with VDM3.0 which is currently in Beta.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth

Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
samweisds
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So do you have a release date for it? Or a link to download the beta so i could test it?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

No to both questions, there is currently no guessimated RTM date and the Beta is still a private invite only one Smiley Sad

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos
samweisds
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm .. not that good ^^ If i would knew it will support W2k8 this year i could tell it the customer so he would wait until it released or at least its open beta or so ... and i think informations about the newly added features/bugfixes dont exist for the public right?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

At this moment in time those that know can't tell due to NDA. however if you work for a VIP/VAC get hold of your VM rep and ask for visibility of the Roadmap, this will involve signing an NDA but it could be worth it. hint hint

Tom Howarth

0 Kudos