VMware Horizon Community
andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDI & KMS Licencing

Does anyone have any idea how MS KMS licensing works in a pure VDI environment?

An example of what I'm talking about:

1000 Virtual machines running Vista Enterprise on 20 ESX hosts.

No physical Vista machines

The licencing is VECD so it's all kosher

The activation is via MS KMS because it's a secure environment with no direct Internet access for activation.

On the surface this is OK, however the KMS server requires a minimum of 25 physical vista clients to be waiting for activation before it will activate anything. After a week if a client hasn't re-activated the count is decremented by one (conversely if a physical vista client activates, the count is incremented by one).

The problem is that although virtual instances of vista are activated correctly by KMS (as long as the KMS vista count is at least 25), the virtual vista instances have a count of 0, which means that unless there are at least 25 physical vista clients online continuously, KMS stops working.

The obvous answer would be to not use vista but use XP with a VLK, however the requirement is for vista only.

The way I see it, there are 2 ways of fixing this in a pure VDI environment:

-Fix KMS so that it counts VMs

-Trick the Vista VM into believing that it's a physical machine

The most likely option is to trick the VM, but I'm not sure how it knows this? Is it by the MAC address? or by the existance of VMware tools? By the VMware hardware devices? A combination of factors?

Has anyone done this before?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
EshuunDara
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering this myself.

The only thought I have on the subject is to install 6 Windows 2008 servers (5 servers + 1 KMS Server). Since the n-count for Windows 2008 is 5 and supposedly can be run in a VM, I'm wondering if that might be the solution since Windows 2008 can also activate the Vista computers...

At least that's the theory. M$ should just fix KMS licensing to work with VMs, but I doubt that's likely to change. Did you ever figure out how to do this?

andy_mac
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

In the current environment you are correct, however I have yet to test this with other solutions that require KMS to work such as Citrix's Provisioning Server for Desktops which does some "magic" in terms of SIDs and machine accounts. This will be interesting if the solution is used with virtual desktops, such as the Citrix XenDesktop suite (which BTW works with VMware products).

I agree that MS need to do something to make this product work properly (usefully) but can't see them doing so (if at all) until they have their own OS streaming or VDI solution (or until they license the technology from Citrix like they did with TS & hyper-v)...

Good luck - otherwise just stick with XP - If it aint broke, don't fix it!

0 Kudos
EshuunDara
Contributor
Contributor

Upon looking into this further, here's the breakdown using Windows 2008 server & Vista based on the updated Volume Activation 2.0 documentation on technet:

Your KMS keys are broken into 4 categories, which are subsets of each other. Thus, the KMS key for Windows 2008 server can be used to activate Vista, but not the other way around. The n-count is based on physical machines, and the n-count for Win2k8 is 5 while the n-count for vista is 25. If you've got 25 vista PCs on your network, you can activate your Win2k8 servers just fine. If you've got 5 Win2k8 servers, you can activate the Win2k8 boxes just fine, but NOT the vista machines... since the n-count isn't above 25 yet.

The end result is you're going to need 25 physical machines running Vista; I don't see a great solution for this unfortunately. I'm in a similar boat -- I want to use KMS for my servers, but I don't have 5 physical machines lying around that I can toss Win2k8 on. Only the legacy equipment around here is running in a physical environment, so I can't upgrade it to Win2k8 if I wanted to.

0 Kudos
joshuatownsend
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

A few things have changed in Microsoft licensing and KMS activations and VMware View.  See this post for using KMS for VMware View (and any other VM deployment): http://vmtoday.com/2012/02/using-kms-for-vmware-view-windows-activation/

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Please visit http://vmtoday.com for News, Views and Virtualization How-To's Follow me on Twitter - @joshuatownsend
0 Kudos