VMware Horizon Community
bdseeley
Contributor
Contributor

VDI Dynamic Provisioning Issue on SAN

We're using the VMware VDI broker to provision our WinXP desktops and it seems to be working very well except when using dynamic provisioning. We have 4 LUNs on our EMC SAN at 200 GB each. When we select DP inside the Virtual Desktop Manager it will only provision to the one data store that doesn't have any disk space available even though we set the correct data store in the Deployment Settings area.

Does anyone have an idea of why it will not take the setting and deploys the VMs to the wrong data store? Thanks!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Is this the PS provided solution or the Beta Virtual Desktop Manager? If the latter, I would recommend opeing a SR and posting in the beta forum. If the former, I would contact your sales manager and get the PS team involved.

WP

0 Kudos
bdseeley
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you WP. We're not getting a lot of attention as far as support from our VMware team. This was part of the PS involvement which we later found we couldn't afford so obviously we won't get any support on this, already tried. I am actually going to evaluate the Leostream broker instead. The VMware VDI broker has way too many issue for us to keep pursuing right now. Thanks again!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So you are aware, the VDM 2.0 Beta is available. This is a totally seperate product from the PS offering. You could try that or any of the partner solutions such as Leaostream, Provision etc. If there is any thing I can do to help you please feel free to send me a message.

WP

bdseeley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, WP. We may flirt with the new beta version as well as the Leostream product. Our India folks have described latency issues switching between apps when going through the broker but having very good performance when going direct from their RDP client. We have noticed that often times it takes quite a while for the web piece to do its' thing.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

What version of VDM 1.x are you running and having issues w/ DP? (From the Help menu, choose About VMware VDM)

If you don't mind, how do you get a copy of the VDM 1? If you have a VDI Pilot engagement through our PSO, you should be entitled to one full year of Gold Support from VMware. VDM 1 is only avail through our PS engagements.

VDM 2 is our full blown product and we encourage our customers to try the VDM 2 beta which is avail now. However, we are more than happy to help you troubleshoot your VDM 1 DP issue. Pls feel free to send me a message and I will get our technical folk to help you.

-B

0 Kudos
bdseeley
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your response, B. We did get a copy of VDM 1.1.0.1090 through a short lived PSO engagement. However, due to budetary reasons we were not able to continue with the services and we are currently still using this version and having a host of issues with it now. We are using it because we already have some familiarity with it but now our users are complaining of latency when obtaining the desktops through the connection broker. If they go in directly through RDP they are very happy with the performance. We may, for now, bypass the users logging into the broker and do provisioning from there. However, we've seemed to have reached a limit as to how many desktops that we can provision. The main issue we're having is during the DP process it will only deploy to a SAN LUN that is already filled up and will not accept the settings we give it to deploy to a different LUN in the Deployment Settings area.

I am currently on the VMware website and don't see an option to download v2 unless we purchase it.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This DP & LUN issue you sees in 1.1.0.1090 was fixed in the VDM 1.1.0.1094. It was reported by another customer.

It's not clear to me whether you are PSO VDI Pilot customer from your email. If you are, you should be entitled to our support for upgrade and patches. If you are not, and are interested in VDM 2 beta, I recommend you to engage your VMware account team to sign you up for our beta program. Hope this helps.

-B

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Here is the link for beta registration.

http://www.vmware.com/vmworldnews/vdi.html

WP

0 Kudos
bdseeley
Contributor
Contributor