VMware Horizon Community
CharlieHongKong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VDI - Desktop has failed to open -- HELP!!

I've looked through this whole community already for this issue and tried all the recommendations made by everyone, but I can't connect to my VM's from the client or web access, I get the "Desktop has failed to open" error...I'm going nuts here.

I have ESX 3.5 setup and running like a champ, a server running the connection broker, a VM running active directory as a DC, and VC 2.5 running on my pc. Also, 2 XPSP3 VM's I'm trying to connect to. All these computers are in the same "TestDomain".

• - I have enabled remote desktop

• - Turned off firewall via GPO

• - Added the users to a "VDI Users" group that is pushed via GPO to be part of the local remote desktop users groups (verified this is setup properly).

• - I've registered all the MS KB's recommended (removing reg entry).

• - The agent is installed, I've reinstalled, rebooted a FEW times and still no luck.

• - I can RDP into the boxes without issue.

• - DNS names resolve without issue from broker to client, from client to broker, from VM to broker, from broker to VM etc. etc.

• - External URL is set properly; I can access it via web access.

• - No active sessions.

• - Everything says "ready" but when I connect I get the "Desktop has failed to open" error.

The only thing I didn't see was a reg entry about the agent anywhere.

I attached my event log from my Connection Broker.

THANKS!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

(2) The agent has not received configuration information from the server or cannot communicate with it - on your VM, check the following

• The value of registry string value HLKM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Agent\Configuration\Broker

I don't have this reg key on my VM

This is your problem, I assume you've installed the VMware VDM agent and not just VMware Tools on your VM? If not, you'll need to install it first. If you have, the problem is that the connection server has been unable to configure your VM, perhaps as a side effect of your VC issues. Log in to the VDM admin UI and remove the reference to the VM (delete from connection broker only, don't delete from disk), then edit your desktop entry and re-add the VM again from its location in Virtual Center. You should see a "reconfigure virtual machine" action take place on VC when you add it back. Make sure you're logged out of the VM before you attempt to connect to it.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Could you attach a complete VDM connection server log? This single event only means that VDM couldn't communicate with the VC (which may be the issue, but it's a little hard to tell without context). The log files are at c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\vmware\vdm\logs.

CharlieHongKong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Here is the log from today.

I should also mention that I just realized I'm trying to manage my VM's and servers from Virtual Center at a Colocation. I may try to get my servers out of the control of that virtual center and run it locally.

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes, you'll need to get the connection to VC sorted out - VDM can't keep a connection to it, as shown by all of the errors you originally included.

10:14:12,531 INFO <TP-Processor1> \[Audit\] SERVERS_NOT_RESPONDING:Pool:CN=Workstation1,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int;USER:TESTDOMAIN\test.user;USERDN:CN=S-1-5-21-2903476957-3306740159-118647032-1105,CN=ForeignSecurityPrincipals,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int;

10:56:12,449 INFO <TP-Processor2> \[Audit\] SERVERS_NOT_RESPONDING:Pool:CN=VDI-Test01,OU=Applications,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int;USER:TESTDOMAIN\test.user;USERDN:CN=S-1-5-21-2903476957-3306740159-118647032-1105,CN=ForeignSecurityPrincipals,DC=vdi,DC=vmware,DC=int;

The key line here is the Audit log SERVERS_NOT_RESPONDING - the problem is that the agent(s) have not communicated back to the connection server their status, and so the connection server must assume that the VM is unavailable. There are two possibilities here: (1) There are no powered on VMs added to the desktop "Workstation1", for this check in the VDM admin UI to verify that a VM is present within the desktop and check that it's powered on from within the VC client \[normally this second step wouldn't be necessary, but if VDM can't talk to VC it can't tell it to power on the VM when needed\]. (2) The agent has not received configuration information from the server or cannot communicate with it - on your VM, check the following:

- The value of registry string value HLKM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Agent\Configuration\Broker

- Whether you can successfully establish a TCP connection to port 4001 on that name (telnet contents-of-broker-string 4001)

CharlieHongKong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

(1) There are no powered on VMs added to the desktop "Workstation1", for this check in the VDM admin UI to verify that a VM is present within the desktop and check that it's powered on from within the VC client .

Yes, I have a desktop assigned to it, and it's powered on. I can RDP into it. It's also entitled.

(2) The agent has not received configuration information from the server or cannot communicate with it - on your VM, check the following

• The value of registry string value HLKM\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Agent\Configuration\Broker

• Whether you can successfully establish a TCP connection to port 4001 on that name (telnet contents-of-broker-string 4001)

can't do this without the key?

0 Kudos
mpryor
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

This is your problem, I assume you've installed the VMware VDM agent and not just VMware Tools on your VM? If not, you'll need to install it first. If you have, the problem is that the connection server has been unable to configure your VM, perhaps as a side effect of your VC issues. Log in to the VDM admin UI and remove the reference to the VM (delete from connection broker only, don't delete from disk), then edit your desktop entry and re-add the VM again from its location in Virtual Center. You should see a "reconfigure virtual machine" action take place on VC when you add it back. Make sure you're logged out of the VM before you attempt to connect to it.

0 Kudos
CharlieHongKong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I now have the VDM pointed to the virtual center at my colo and I still get the error, but now my logs are showing this:

"POOL_EMPTY:Pool:cn=vdi-test01,ou=server groups,dc=vdi,dc=vmware,dc=int;USER:TESTDOMAIN\test.user;USERSID:S-1-5-21-2903476957-3306740159-118647032-1105;"

Not sure what that means.

I had my admin create a VDMAdmin Role for this VC like in the documentation, but it doesn't seem to work.

0 Kudos
CharlieHongKong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks mpryor! Your last suggestion hit the nail on the head!

I was able to login and see my VM...finally!

I don't recommend outside VC's with funky permissions.

0 Kudos
srinivasaddagat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I have same problem as Charlie. I see that below key exists and could telnet to my VDM server from the VM on port 4001. I have both Vmware tools and VDM agent installed and running fine. I point is that i disabled provisioning as i don't want VDM to clone more desktops even though we have two available in the pool but getting desktop unavailable message when trying to connect from VDM client Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
CharlieHongKong
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't stress how important DNS is when configuring VMware.

Make sure you can ping by FQDN, not just IP. Ping from every possible angle!!

0 Kudos
srinivasaddagat
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the response, i did make sure that my VDM Agent and VDM Server can ping either other both using FQDN and shortname.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jameran
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi - has anyone else had any luck resolving this issue?

I have the exact same problem as detailed here. No luck when reinstalling the Agent. I can ping both ways by IP, shortname, and FQDN. Telnet to 4001 from VM to VDM is successful.

In my instance, I had a test VDI setup up for 4 days, working perfectly. With no apparent changes to the config, now nothing works UNLESS I reprovision all new desktops. This is clearly going to prevent deploying this in production!

I appreciate any help!

0 Kudos
lhedrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same issue as well. My test setup however has never worked.

Has anyone resolved the issue...?

0 Kudos