VMware Horizon Community
RamirezKIV
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VDI Calculator: Hyper Threading and VMs per core questions

Hello everyone!

Somebody knows, why VDI Calculator doesn’t include a parameter like this: HyperThreading is Enabled/Disabled?

If it really doesn’t include this, what should I do if my servers has a 2 sockets with 6 cores plus HT enabled? Should I set 12 cores instead a 6 cores?

And what a value a should I select for “VMs per Cores”?

One technical guy told me that value for this option must be a 6. Is it correct?

Thank you very much!

ILYA

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I've read where people don't like to use hyperthreading in their formula to determine how many VMs can be run on a server.    You would have to ask Andre, who created the calculator,  but that may have been his reason for leaving that option out.    Also based on that methodology you would set your cores to 6 as that is what they are without the hypethreading.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

See I disgree - I would use 12 because both a HT and core are treated as a Logical CPU in the Server Virtualization world and since desktop workloads are lighter than server it would be logical that you treat it the same way HT=Core =LCPU -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos