VMware Horizon Community
caryers
Contributor
Contributor

VDI Accererators

Are their any View 5.x admins out there using any type of VDI accelerators?

We are at the tale end of decomissioning are old Citrix Portal for our View 5.00/Unidesk 1.6.3 environment. Both platforms are basically used in parrallel for many of our user base. I hear a reoccuring story ONLY from my wirelss users(4G Mifi & 3G Aircards). When they roam into a lower band-width wirelss connection, their VDI (PCoIP) connection will drop more frequently than Portal users. These users (which still have access to our portal system) will switch to portal (ICA) and experience a more stable connection. Not all wireless users experience this situtation, but enough to easily determine the pattern. I have read enough articles and seen it first hand that the ICA protocol is a far superior protocol over PCoIP with very limitied bandwidth. Hard-wired their is zero difference. A large subset of my Portal users (soon to be 100% VDI this April when we decommission Portal) will be very disappointed to only have VDI access available to them due to this stability issue I outlined above.

So I am asking this great community base if any VDI out there are using any type of VDI accelerator to bridge this gap between the ICA and PCoIP protocol? Any feedback or thoughts woudl be greatly apprecitated...

Scott

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Is your PCOIP setup out of the box or have your done some customization through the GPO?    There is a tool called the PCOIP Configuration utility that could help or at the very least help you test different settings.     Here is a link to it, http://mindfluxinc.net/?p=399.  

0 Kudos