VMware Horizon Community
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

V10L Firmware 6.3.0_22 and HP LaserJet 4

Has anyone experience any issues connecting an HP LaserJet 4 via parrallel port to a Wyse V10L running firmware 6.3.0_22? The guest OS is XP, the problem being experienced are print jobs are deleted once they are spooled in the print queue, print jobs are stuck in the queue with status of Spooling or Printing, print jobs clear queue as if it printed but does not print.

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
11 Replies
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So no one has this issue huh???

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
VulcanRocks
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this problem also. Have you found a fix?

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VulcanRocks

It is a known issue call Wyse Customer Support @ 800-438-9973 and make them aware that you too are having issues. They had released a later firmware 6.4 but that does not work either. Let me know what they tell you. If I find a fix I will post...

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

connecting an HP LaserJet 4 via parrallel port

You will be better off buying a IP printer device or put a jet express card in that printer (I KNOW it will accept one). Then print via IP address. I doubt parallel interface will have a fix for printers, due to the redirect in a VM. IP should work perfectly.

The IP printer devices are like 30 bucks at ANY computer store.... and they are compatible with ALL printers. You can pick up a jetexpress card for $50.00 off Ebay, maybe cheaper....

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You may be correct, but when you purchased an item and it did work prior then all of a sudden they upgrade the firmware and it does not work anymore then it should be a firmware fix they need to do....

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

print jobs clear queue as if it printed but does not print.

Also this has been YEARS since I dealt with this but the problem is certain LPT ports the HP printers (specifically LJ4) have issues printing. You might scour the HP forums for a fix, but I believe if you change the port settings to RAW and pint after the job is spooled, that fixes it...

I know it's a fairly simple fix, but it's not only an issue with firmware, it is specifically for HP LJ4.

Also you can probably buy a brand new LJ printer (even a small desktop model) that you can use instead, they are really cheap under 75 bucks (Samsung has a model I almost bought) and they are 20 PPM vs 4 PPM for that printer you are using, so for a very small cost, you can print on a printer with built in IP capability, and not mess with that 12 year + old printer...

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

You may be correct, but when you purchased an item and it did work prior then all of a sudden they upgrade the firmware

OK, that may be true, however in the mean time you are NOT printing.... so would you rather wait on a fix for a device that is no longer support or find a more suitable method to print, which will work 100%?

To me I would rather just FIX the problem rather than wait on a solution. IP printing is more efficient and faster (and you can print from ALL your VM's not just one) than parallel printing. . . . .

0 Kudos
VulcanRocks
Contributor
Contributor

We only have ~60 of these in this building. No telling how many are in our other 450 locations.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

We only have ~60 of these in this building. No telling how many are in our other 450 locations.

So let me get this straight, ALL ~60 are connected via parallel directly to the ESX host? That would be daunting, but still IP printing is the way to go...

0 Kudos
VulcanRocks
Contributor
Contributor

We are still in pilot and have not replaced everyone's desktop.

0 Kudos
EXPRESS
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK, that may be true, however in the mean time you are NOT printing.... so would you rather wait on a fix for a device that is no longer support or find a more suitable method to print, which will work 100%?

To me I would rather just FIX the problem rather than wait on a solution. IP printing is more efficient and faster (and you can print from ALL your VM's not just one) than parallel printing. . . . .

No, in the mean time they have changed the printer to a different model and it is working. I agree changing all to IP printing would be best but when you don't have that option at the moment than what. All I am saying is that Wyse has done this a couple of times with the firmware changes where they make an improvement something else goes wrong. We still have a bunch of HP4 set as parallel, what am I suppose to do??

Thank you,

Express

Thank you, Express
0 Kudos