VMware Horizon Community
terran80
Contributor
Contributor

Using softphones in VMware View Desktops

Hi,

We're currently testing an Avaya One-X softphone with our VMware View 5.0 desktops with Plantronics and Logitech USB headsets.  We've noticed that the audio is choppy to a point where it's not usable.  Does anyone have tips on how to optimize the PCoIP connection and/or configuration of the desktop for usb devices?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

they have made Huge improvements in 5.1 with PCoIP.

Also have you downloaded the ADM templates for your Group Policy? There are some settings in there that you can adjust  that should fix.

The PCoIP display protocol uses an encoding approach called progressive build, which works to provide the optimal overall user experience even under constrained network conditions.

Progressive build provides a highly compressed initial image, called a lossy image, that is then progressively built to a full lossless state. A lossless state means that the image appears with the full fidelity intended.

On a LAN, PCoIP always displays text using lossless compression. If available bandwidth per session drops below 1Mbs, PCoIP initially displays a lossy text image and rapidly builds the image to a lossless state. This approach allows the desktop to remain responsive and display the best possible image during varying network conditions, providing an optimal experience for users.

The build-to-lossless feature provides the following characteristics:

Dynamically adjusts image quality

Reduces image quality on congested networks

Maintains responsiveness by reducing screen update latency

Resumes maximum image quality when the network is no longer congested

The PCoIP protocol is efficient enough to provide the build-to-lossless feature in all conditions, which allows this feature to stay on by default.

You can disable the build-to-lossless feature by setting the Turn off Build-to-Lossless feature group policy setting. See View PCoIP Session Bandwidth Variables.

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za
0 Kudos
terran80
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  I've done some searches around the internet to see if I could find any suggested recommendations but wasn't able to find anything that pertains to USB headsets as most suggest using the teradici audio driver with analog headsets with the following suggested settings:

PCoIP Session Variables/Overridable Administrator Defaultshide
PolicySetting
Configure PCoIP image quality levelsEnabled
See the Explain tab for example values.
Set the Minimum Image Quality value (50 for default):50
Set the Maximum Initial Image Quality value (90 for default):90
Set the Maximum Frame Rate value (30 for default):12
PolicySetting
Configure the PCoIP session audio bandwidth limitEnabled
Set audio BW limit in kilobits per second to:150
PolicySetting
Turn off Build-to-Lossless featureDisabled

I have since applied these settings to the virtual desktop via GPO but was unable to see any difference in results using my logitech USB headset.  I would hit the dial button within the softphone in the virtual desktop and the dial tone would keep jittering.

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Terra,

you are unign windows 7 optimized images?

is there a dirreirence running from a "view client" or a zero client with terra software?

Best regards, If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful". Please visit my blog at http://vmblog.co.za
0 Kudos
terran80
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yup, we're using Windows 7 as the virtual desktop's OS and we've followed the optimization guide for configuring the OS.  As for the client, I've been testing with my Windows 7 laptop.  One of the things I forgot to mention was that I'm testing from a remote 4Mbps connection through the security server.

0 Kudos
vmblogza
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Please can you enable the Losless feature just for yourself on GPO. Give it some time.

But with an optimized imagine I have noticed that the Audio Quality is bad. With Skype even it is bad!

So we are using standard Full images with the IT department and we can run AVAYA Softconsole switchboard from there so I am sure you can run your software.

Now the 4Mbps line is that underutelized or overutelized?

But im pretty sure it is the win 7 image. But now a non-optimized image over 4Mbps should work. Your upload speed will be the problem? I assume you are using ADSL?

0 Kudos
royberk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This was a major hassle at my old company.

I would try to use the Red/Green audio/mic headsets instead of the USB ones. This will also alleviates extra steps for USB redirection.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I will echo what Roy just said and just not use the USB headsets.   I had it working rather well on a LAN solution but once I got outside of that it was just horrible performance.  I have always read the analog is the way to go. 

0 Kudos
MrDuggan
Contributor
Contributor

I had a Windows XP VM that worked great with Avaya softphone, but when forced to use a Windows 7 VM I hit the stuttering / choppy audio problem.

Sound Recorder would sound fine.  When I launched Avaya softphone, then even sound recorder would stutter.

I tried all sorts of configurations, but just figured out how to fix it 🙂

The Windows 7 VM on the backend needs to be changed from using the ES1371 sound card to the generic hdaudio soundcard.

Power down the VM.

Backup the .vmx file, change the sound.autodetect = "FALSE"

and add sound.virtualDev = "hdaudio"

When you start the VM under sound, the device should change to "High Definition Audio Device"

Just for reference, my host system has Realtek on-board audio.

0 Kudos
TonyHuynh201110
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Has anyone tried this?  It will provide the best experience possible and is completely scalable.

http://www.avaya.com/usa/product/vdi-communicator/

0 Kudos