VMware Horizon Community
gymmbo
Contributor
Contributor

Using roaming profiles w/ Microsoft DFS

I am trying to identify why I had a server become unresponsive over the weekend.

We are using Microsoft's DFSR technology to replicate user's roaming profiles to backup servers. The profiles are for our Horizon View virtual desktop environment. The server doesn't crash but the users experience great latency or will even be kicked out of their VDIs and the server needs to be restarted. I have a case open w/ MS about this as well but I was hoping someone might have experienced something similar and what their resolution may have been.

Thank you,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
nzorn
Expert
Expert

We use DFS to replicate our windows roaming profiles over 3 sites.  Using Windows 2008 R2.  No problem here, been running it like this for years.

ErikTatum10
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Microsoft documents their stance on WRP + DFS-R in the following KB.  Perhaps there is something there that can be helpful for you.

Information about Microsoft support policy for a DFS-R and DFS-N deployment scenario

Thanks,

Erik

0 Kudos
mcasekar
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Please check the replication of your DFS servers are fine, especially users profile contents.

Regards| Rajasekar.N| "If you find this answer useful, please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful"
0 Kudos
paradise1967
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It's also worth noting this kb from VMware

VMware KB: Persona profiles are not replicated correctly when hosted using the Distributed File Syst...

I have used DFS-R in the past for Personas but had issues such as profile corruption and replication just not keeping up, so don't use it anymore for Personas.

0 Kudos