VMware Horizon Community
rcodo
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Using composer and linked clones - Can we locate the Windows pagefile on a separate disk on a different datastore -link them and spin up machines?

Specifically I have a customer looking for ideas pertaining to how to get the windows pagefile on a separate disk on a different datastore than where the OS disk lives using composer and linked clones.

Right now they have the master image that has an independent persistent disk that reside on a separate datastore with the windows pagefile located on it. When they start provisioning machines that separate disk gets created on the datastore where the OS disk lives.

Is it possible to have a second disk linked to the master on a separate datastore and use composer to spin up machines?

Thanks in advance!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Have not tried it myself but I do not think it will work.

What is the issue that you try to resolve? To save diskspace, increase performance or speed up provisioing?

I would instead try to find a balance between memory allocated and pagefile size depending on what you try to solve.

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
lhoff1919
Contributor
Contributor

I think what is trying to be resolved is that NetApp request that this be done.

They don't want to use dedup on the pagefile, wasted item, their documents all request you put everything on different drives including the pagefile.

But as rcodo says, it does seem to be working that way.

0 Kudos