VMware Horizon Community
Okuthor
Contributor
Contributor

Using a Virtual Machine from VMplayer for VMView

Hi all,

Actually i´m using a VM player with a virtual machine with Windows 7, for woriking in my laptop. It works perfectly.

Now in my company, we are testing the VMview to provide for all users a way to have always available their own computer using virtual desktops. (backups, restores, etc.. included).

We have one license of VSphere 4.1 Advanced and Vcenter 4 too (we have to update to 5) and a new server with VSphere 5.

We download VMview for testing and a vcenter appliance for testing too.

Everything works and its configure in our lab, but I`ve found a problem. I copy a my virtual machine (from my laptop) to a USB hard disk. I´m using Linux as an Operative System from the host (my laptop) so I have to copy the vm to the USB hard disk because there are not vsphere client for linux, so I power on gain my vm machine and I upload the virtual machine with Windows 7 to the datastore.

After these, I can not power on the virtual machine with the following error:

An unexpected error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM vm-1601.
Module DevicePowerOn power on failed.
Unable to create virtual SCSI device for scsi0:0, '/vmfs/volumes/4e69b6a8-095d498e-4db1-2c768aad5524/Máquinas Virtuales/Windows 7/Windows 7.vmdk'
Failed to open disk scsi0:0: Unsupported or invalid disk type 7.  Ensure that the disk has been imported.

I have changed the type of the virtual machine disk, the SCSI controller, etc.. but nothing.

Of course, the bets way to move virtual machines is Vmotion, but i don´t know how to do it from my laptop to the server.

Does anybody could enlighten me about it?

BR

Okuthor.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I know you said you were using Player to run this machine but you didn't say in which format it was created.     Instead of copying it to the USB drive and then copying it to the datatsore you could try to use VMware Converter to pull it into the vSphere environment.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You missed one important step.

After you uploaded the vmdk you must import it with vmkfstools

syntax:

vmkfstools -i "/vmfs/volumes/4e69b6a8-095d498e-4db1-2c768aad5524/Máquinas Virtuales/Windows 7/Windows 7.vmdk"  "/vmfs/volumes/4e69b6a8-095d498e-4db1-2c768aad5524/Máquinas Virtuales/Windows 7/Windows 7imported.vmdk"

once that is done remove the original vmdk and attach "Windows 7imported.vmdk" instead

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community? - Are you just copying the files over? If you are that is not supported - what you will have to do is save the VM as either an OVF or OVA from vmplayer and the import that into your vsphere environment - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Now you received 3 different answers Smiley Wink

All would work - but I would suggest to use vmkfstools as it is by far the fastest fix for your current problem

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

Nothing better than having multiple options... 

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

http://sanbarrow.com/gifs/cheers.gif

0 Kudos