VMware Horizon Community
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Using View Security Server session with RDP and internally with PCoIP

Sorry for the long title but I'm having some configuration problems.  I have created a pool of virtual machines for users to use on the LAN and from an external location.  The 'Remote Display Protocol' setting is set for PCoIP and 'Allow user to choose protocol' is set to yes as shown in the screen shot below:

protocol.jpg

When using View on the LAN everything is fine.  PCoIP is used and everything is nice and fast.  If I ask a user to log inexternally using the Security Server then I have to ask the user to change the default protocol from PcoIP to RDP as that is the only protocol supported.  Asking users to configure things them selves leads to many helpdesk calls!

Can anyone offer any advise on how they have a pool configured for both PCoIP and RDP depending on location?

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

that thread was recently discussed and it was a month ago, and unfortunately nope.

since security server for this version only supports RDP, i believe the user (if set that PCOIP is default) will be automatically on PCOIP and autoswitch to RDP when it's connected via security server.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

it has to do with two icons (one for RDP, one for PCOIP), for more info refer to here: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1667248#1667248

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

That is exactly what I'm trying to avoid.

Two icons is not an option.  I only want one.

Is that possible?

Stuart ------------------------------------------------ Please award points to any useful answers..
0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

that thread was recently discussed and it was a month ago, and unfortunately nope.

since security server for this version only supports RDP, i believe the user (if set that PCOIP is default) will be automatically on PCOIP and autoswitch to RDP when it's connected via security server.

0 Kudos
Stu_McHugh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

OK.  VMware seamed to of really missed a trick here!  I'll guess I'll have to wait until View 4.6 then!

Cheers

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

i'm eager for 4.6 too, can't wait for ipad client.

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I just wanted to add that I agree that VMware missed the boat on this issue.  Maybe they were just focused on trying to get the PCOIP working over security server but it's frustrating to try and explain to users they have to select a different protocol.

On a side note if your using floating pools you could try to setup an internal and external pool and hide them using tags.  That way you could set the external to default to RDP and the internal to PCOIP.   A little bit of management overhead but it should be transparent to the end user. 

0 Kudos