VMware Horizon Community
Skimannen
Contributor
Contributor

Using VDI for POS with redirected serial ports.

Hello.

We plan to start using vdi with View 4 in our organization. Our organization aslo include shops with POS. To minimize downtime for these POS we consider to use VDI. It would be a good idea for backup but also for adding new POS later.

Each POS has these physical attached equipment :

COM1: Printer + drawer via printer

COM2: Touchscreen

COM3: Customerdisplay

COM4: Pay-terminal

USB : Scanner.

Best regards Oddgeir

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What is the question/concern?

Best regards,

Linjo

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Skimannen
Contributor
Contributor

It should be obvious, but we plan to use VDI on our POS, and would like to know if View 4 supports up to 4 serial ports and one USB scanner.

And if it is a good solution for this example.

Anyone have a good idea?

0 Kudos
Bartmosss
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You will have to get your serial and usb device over the network with a device. I use some product from Digi to connect serial and USB port to my VM. It is like a "printserver" but for serial or usb device.

That's the way, I would do it.

MCP, A, Network, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP

MCP, A+, Network+, Linux+, VSP, VTSP, VCP
Skimannen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks.

I will investigate this closer to see if it is possible to do this.

It would be great if it worked, also with the offline client setting, when it comes.

0 Kudos
tfapps
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I use a Hawking H-UC232S serial to usb converter that seems to work fine.

Skimannen
Contributor
Contributor

Hello aigain.

It's been a while since last time. It seems like the POS system needs power so called "powered RS232".

This maybee require a special device? So it would be interesting if someone uses a powered RS232 device for this purpose.

Thanks.

0 Kudos