VMware Horizon Community
maxman722
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using SysPrep in master image and using AppVolumes and Writable Volumes?

In the documentation for creating a master image, it goes through using sys prep to generalize the image. In the AppVolumes documentation, it says to use composer when using sys prep on VMs. Will there be issues when using the above? I have attached the links of both locations below.

AppVolumes Documentation:

Best Practices for Provisioning Virtual Machines and Applications

Master Image Creation:

Creating an Optimized Windows Image for a VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop | VMware

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Maxman722

It's a bit misleading reading both sets of documentation as it relates to Sysprep.

In the App Volumes document it says:

"Do not deliver applications that require a common SID to a pool or to virtual machines that have had Sysprep run on them. These cases should be used in conjunction with VMware Horizon with View Composer or other similar OS cloning technologies that preserve the machine SID."

Unless you have an application that you're creating an App Stack for that requires a common SID you will be fine.

In my experience, I have not yet worked with a client that used an application like that.

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com

View solution in original post

1 Reply
vJoeG
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Maxman722

It's a bit misleading reading both sets of documentation as it relates to Sysprep.

In the App Volumes document it says:

"Do not deliver applications that require a common SID to a pool or to virtual machines that have had Sysprep run on them. These cases should be used in conjunction with VMware Horizon with View Composer or other similar OS cloning technologies that preserve the machine SID."

Unless you have an application that you're creating an App Stack for that requires a common SID you will be fine.

In my experience, I have not yet worked with a client that used an application like that.

------------------
Joe Graziano
Senior Solution Engineer - EUC Federal
VCP7-DTM, VCP6-DM, VCP6-DCV
vExpert, vExpertPro
jgraziano@vmware.com