VMware Horizon Community
DaveMitchell201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Using SQL Express for Horizon 7.4, no composer

After a bit of advice from the collective please.  We are looking a deploying a new Horizon View environment.  We will only been using Horizon standard with no Composer server.  Do you think it would be viable to use SQL express rather than a standard edition?  As I understand it it will only be used for events so not that critical.  what do people think?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andiwe79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What exactly would be your concerns about using sql express?

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

I usually don't care about loosing the event database. Most of my customers don't do either.

So even if it grows unexpectedly just drop the db. Mostly using it for troubleshooting purpose.

So it depends on how long you want to retain the eventdb data.

Same with performance, if you need some reporting to be faster you could switch over to sql standard.

If you need the eventdb for such things as accounting over a long period sql express could be insufficient.

Just my opinion

Best regards

Andreas

View solution in original post

4 Replies
andiwe79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What exactly would be your concerns about using sql express?

VMware Product Interoperability Matrices

I usually don't care about loosing the event database. Most of my customers don't do either.

So even if it grows unexpectedly just drop the db. Mostly using it for troubleshooting purpose.

So it depends on how long you want to retain the eventdb data.

Same with performance, if you need some reporting to be faster you could switch over to sql standard.

If you need the eventdb for such things as accounting over a long period sql express could be insufficient.

Just my opinion

Best regards

Andreas

DaveMitchell201
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks Andreas.  it's just that most people say not to use express for production, but if it's just for events then it's not critical.  What about where to put the database?  I don't really want to have an extra windows server just for hosting the database, what about putting it on the connection broker itself, has anyone done that and is it supported?

0 Kudos
andiwe79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

No, installing SQL Server on the Connection Broker is not supported.

It may work but no one can guarantee.

surajr04
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Composer and Database server in one singe machine will work, however as andiwe79​ mentioned, it is not recommended to have any other application running on Connection server.

As per VMware View documentation:

"The View Connection Server software cannot coexist on the same virtual or physical machine with any other View Manager software component, including a replica server, security server, View Composer, View Agent, View Client, or View Transfer Server."