VMware Horizon Community
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Using Novell and View 4.6 without Active Directory

Is it possible to use Novell for network authentication in stead of AD? I have a strange requirement where the users are not using AD, but Novell only. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Thanks Mittim12! I cringed when it said that this was not supported, but I'm not surprised. Nice to see that it can work.

0 Kudos
fkorpershoek
Contributor
Contributor

You can also use Domain Services for Windows which makes an eDir works as if it was an AD. We are using this in view deployments.

regards -frank-

tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

That sounds like a good idea. How does this affect my costs on the Microsoft side. The main reason these guys are staying with Novell is cost of migrating to AD.

0 Kudos
fkorpershoek
Contributor
Contributor

DSFW is included in 'Novell' or better said: included in Open Enterprise Server. So no extra costs. Although a idm solution also works, this one is imho cleaner. You just have one user database, not two which you have to keep in sync. We've got this working with view, but also with applications like MS CRM and many others.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi there,

I've written some articles about that in the last three years. Please check: http://3url.de/38

Regards.

Christoph

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the link. I had no idea this many people were interested in View with Novell.

0 Kudos
tacticsbaby
Expert
Expert

Thanks for the clarification. Nice when you can use what you already have at no additional cost.

0 Kudos
RB01
Contributor
Contributor

I know Novell Development has worked with VMWare Development in getting 4.6 to work with DSfW.  Version prior to 4.5 worked great.  4.5 required logonhours attirbute plus issues there were issues with linked clones.  View 4.6 along with patches on the Novell DSfW side fixed the issues.  From my understanding View 5 will officially support DSfW.  Citrix XenApp supports DSfW.  VMWare doesn't want to be left out.

0 Kudos