VMware Horizon Community
MNKrantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Using HA and DRS Clusters with View

Are there any best practices regarding the use of HA and/or DRS clusters in conjunction with View? For example, I have seen situations where a virtual desktop upon restarting (for recompose or otherwise) asks for a reboot as if new hardware had been added. My fear is that this is happening because the virtual desktop has changed hosts. Is there any validity to that fear? Should the use of HA or DRS be avoided when supporting View?

I am running ESXi 4.1, vSphere 4.1 and View 4.6.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think that holds any weight and shouldn't be a cause for concern.   I love using DRS in my View environment and the only fear about HA is if I can handle the load of starting 80+ machines if a host were to fail.    VDI deployments are so dense that 80 Windows 7 desktops with 2 GB memory starting at the same time can strain both server and storage resources.  

MNKrantz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any ideas on why I might be seeing the virtual desktops looking for an additional restart after a resompose?

0 Kudos
npeter
Expert
Expert

Hi,

This should be by design.

Have a look at this kb http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1021506 This explains the linked clone life cycle in view.

Regards

-nObLe
0 Kudos