VMware Horizon Community
Nelsom
Contributor
Contributor

Using Fusion-io and View 5.1: still 8 host cluster limit for linked-clone replica's?

Hi,

when using vsphere 5.0, View 5.0 and Fusion-io I wasn't able to add a 9th host to a linked-clone pool. I know a maximum of 8 hosts can access a single file on vmfs but with Fusion-io the storage isn't shared among the hosts. However, I got a message the 9th host wasn't allowed (can't remember the exact message), as if it is hard-coded in View to prevent issues.

Is this changed with View 5.1? Can I use more then 8 hosts in a linked-clone cluster with Fusion-io (without using nfs for the replica's)?

Regards,

Nelcon.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

As far as I know the 8 host limit is still in place for VMFS on View 5.1 and linked clones.

0 Kudos
Nelsom
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the 8 host limit for vmfs is still in place, but the Fusion-io cards are non-shared storage.

The issue is: the Fusion-io flashcards are placed in each ESXi host and are not shared with the other hosts in the cluster. Each Fusion-io card will contain a replica which will only be accessed by the ESXi host in which the card is inserted. So technically there is no issue, only one host can access the replica. However, View 5.0 isn't aware of that and is detecting a potential configuration error (a replica on vmfs and a cluster with more then 8 hosts) and didn't allow me to add a 9th host.

0 Kudos