VMware Horizon Community
joemamasmac
Contributor
Contributor

Users logged in for days, despite Session timeout.

Good morning all,

I have a pool of linked clones that is for student use in residence halls.  These units are available 24x7 for student use, but i am noticing some weird activity.  I have the systems set-up in global settings to timeout after 720 minutes(12 hours).  I know this is working because I have a persistent desktop that I login to every morning, use for the day, then lock at night.  When I come in the next morning, I am presented with the Zero Client login screen and a message saying that my session was disconnected.

In the labs with users on Zero Clients and using linked clones, I am noticing that some users have a duration of many many days, one was even 20 days.  If a user was up for 20 days straight, I commend him and think he should buy stock in red bull and 5 hour energy, but I am doubting that is the case.  I have the pool itself set to loggoff after disconnect after 10 minutes.  On logoff I also have it set to refresh immediately.

So my question is how is it possible for a user to be logged into one of these machines for 20 days?  Shouldn't the 12 hour timeout have caught the user if they left the machine logged in?  After the timeout, shouldn't the VM have been refreshed and the users session logged off?

These VM's are all running windows 7 and I am using View 5.1.1.  Any thoughts or suggestions on setting changed would be appreciated.

Joe

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarAndreas
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Maybe they simply reconnect before the 10 minutes are over.

You can check that in the Events in View Administrator.

0 Kudos
joemamasmac
Contributor
Contributor

I thought about that and so I searched the logs for the users ID in the event logs going back 3 days, but the I get no matches.  This leads me to believe that this is an error in VMware somewhere.

Joe

0 Kudos
vedeht
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It won't log them out if they haven't disconnected from the zero client.  If I use a zero client like a traditional desktop and lock it before I leave but don't disconnect then it will stay connected and not timeout.  Hence you see the results.

Try our VMWare View Demo on www.virtualdojo.com
0 Kudos