VMware Horizon Community
markvr80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Users can't logon, "error in the RPC receive loop"

Occasionally enough to be annoying, a user can't connect to their desktop. The Windows Application event log contains the following error:

Event Type: Warning

Event Source: VMware VDM

Event Category: VMware VDM

Event ID: 104

Date: 15/10/2009

Time: 07:32:51

User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Computer: BUAR-VM001

Description:

Error in the RPC receive loop: RpcIn: Unable to send

I can't find anything at all from googling this. Has anyone seen it before or know of any reason why this could be happening?

It's very frustrating for our users as it means they can't do anything until someone from IT support reboots the VM, which seems to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
markvr80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

bounce

Anyone? Seem to be getting this more and more, and it is starting to cause major problems

0 Kudos
KevLarMasher
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing the same issues in Windows 7 and VMware View 4. vSphere has been update to Update 1.

Log Name: Application

Source: VMware View

Date: 1/11/2010 10:56:12 AM

Event ID: 104

Task Category: VMware View

Level: Warning

Keywords: Classic

User: SYSTEM

Computer: afitemp2.afi.local

Description:

Error in the RPC receive loop: RpcIn: Unable to send

0 Kudos
jkuth
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem. What version of the VMWare View Agent are you using?

0 Kudos
Einherjar55
Contributor
Contributor

I was receiving the same issues a lot a couple weeks ago. I opened an SR with VMware but they didn't find much in the server logs that could help other then there was an error.

What protocol are you using? I was only seeing the error while using PCoIP, RDP was working fine.

I finally got the errors to quiet down some after doing the following:

-Switched to a persistent pool (I don't think this had any effect but the setup made more sense for our environment)

-Changed the View Manager to use direct connections.

-Disabled all screen savers and power settings on the VM's

We are still testing this out but so far we haven't recieved any more errors of this nature.

0 Kudos
markvr80
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We already had a persistant pool and direct connections. Not sure about the screen saver. The VMs in our pool suspend when not in use.

The problem with a persistant pool is that if there is a problem with the individual VM, the user can't do anything about it, and is helpless until the IT helpdesk reboot the VM from the vCenter console.

0 Kudos
Einherjar55
Contributor
Contributor

We chose not to suspend the VM's because it was taking too long for them to come up for the users. And since we have them on at all times we ran into the screen saver issue.

I've been trying to think of a way to script the VM reboot, an event with ID 102 gets logged on the connection server when one of our users can't log in. The user ID is in the event but the VM name isn't. I was thinking that I could query the database directly for that information, I just need to poke around and see where it is.

0 Kudos
s1m0nb
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Any officaial response or solution to this one? We are suffering a similar issue with pcoip. Supposedly reproducable when plugging and unplgging usb devices..although I havent tested it myself yet?

0 Kudos
itmanage
Contributor
Contributor

I called Vmware support about this issue and so far no response from them. Still waiting

0 Kudos
kcampbell
Contributor
Contributor

seeing the same issue, rdp- user cannot override -persistent pool and -do nothing set for when not in use. have also put in a sr with vmware, so far have done nothing but generate and ftp many, many, bundles of data. will post whatever vmware comes back with and any add'l nfo but wanted to put out there this isnt specific to protocol -only rdp being used in my environment and this prob is sporadic, less frequent now with view 4 and the whole vsphere update 1 but still occurs

0 Kudos
csimwong
Contributor
Contributor

Seeing the same error here on some VMs. Anyone ever figure it out or find out any further info?

0 Kudos
BrandonJackson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did anyone get a resolution to this? I am running into this issue occasionally with a View 4.0.1 environment with ESX 4.0 Update 1. I would love to hear what VMware did to resolve this issue for the other posters... Thanks!

Brandon

0 Kudos
stoltz
Contributor
Contributor

So no one found a good answer to this problem?

0 Kudos
BrandonJackson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have lowered the number of concurrent provisionings that can happen at any given time and that seems to have helped somewhat. I will post back if the problem re-appears. Thanks!

Brandon

0 Kudos
stoltz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Brandon

0 Kudos
DevanD
Contributor
Contributor

We are also seeing this error occasionally. It happens for us when a user is logged into the View Desktop for a while using PCoIP. The user is booted from the session and the application log is flooded with this error. We are in production with 4.0.1.

Any new info on the issue would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
BrandonJackson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If the provisioning changes didn't help, one other thing we have done (to fix a variety of errors in the provisioning process) is cleanup the "Run" registry key, and then run a post-provisioning script through View that reboots the computer one last time. We have seen that the extra reboot, for whatever reason, helps the provisioning process in a variety of environments. Hope this helps!

Brandon

0 Kudos