VMware Horizon Community
CacheRun
Contributor
Contributor

User names, password, and internet explorer folder redirection with a non-persistent desktop in VM Ware

I have setup folder redirection although usernames, passwords, and internet explorer are not working. How do I configure folder redirection for user names, passwords and IE using a Windows 7 Professional non-persistent desktop in a VM Ware Environment? The server being used is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Note: Discussion successfully moved from VMware Knowledge Base to VMware View™ (with View Manager)

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can utilize the View persona GPO to handle folder redirection, http://pubs.vmware.com/view-50/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.view.administration.doc/GUID-784A7FB5-033... or you can utilize the Microsoft GPO to accomplish it, http://technet.microsoft.com/library/cc786749.aspx.

0 Kudos
CacheRun
Contributor
Contributor

Folder redirection is set up although user names, passwords, and internet explorer are not working.

0 Kudos
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree View persona mgt is the way to go....  However make sure when you setup the GPO that you also make sure and select to Roam Local Settings folder (AppData\Local for Win 7).

0 Kudos
jmanning19
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the confusion, let me be a bit more clear on what we are experiencing.

We have folder redirection setup using the Windows GPO, not the VMware GPO.  We did this because there are a lot more options on the Windows side such as setting security.  We are using Persona Management for the user's profile and we've verified that NTUSER.DAT is being redirected which is where we believe the username and passwords are stored for Internet Explorer.  That being said when the user logs off then back on their usernames and passwords are not being stored.

We can't be the first to have had this issue so we're looking for help from the VM community after having failed to correct on our own.

0 Kudos
Camek
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When I first setup View Persona I didn't get the folder share permissions set correct and view could write the profile but has issues reading.  You need to make sure that all domain users have full write at the folder share and the folder root.   The folders are safe because the permission on the individual user folders will protect them.

On your redirects are you placing them the same folder as you use for the persona's?   My personal opinion is that mixing roaming profile/redirects and the then view persona is causing you the issues.  Just use the view persona GPO to setup profile and redirects. Yes you can use the Admin/System/User Profiles (add the admins secuirty group) GP to set the permissions on the persona folder.

As a side note we do not allow our users to store web password in IE because of the significant security risk for our company/users.

0 Kudos
jmanning19
Contributor
Contributor

The user has full permissions at the share level and is also the owner of the folder.  The redirects go to a folder called %username% and the persona goes to %username.v2% so there is no mixing.  All redirects are done with one gpo.  The only thing view persona manages is the profile (ntuser.dat).  We have too many users setup already to just use the view persona gpo for redirects, especially when this is the only issue we are experiencing.  I'd imagine if the issue was due to "mixing" windows redirect with view persona profile management we'd have more than just the one problem.

0 Kudos