VMware Horizon Community
GHUser911
Contributor
Contributor

User login stucks on "Updating Store app" - Windows 10 With UEM

Hi guys,

we are using Windows 10 Enterprise with UEM, without mandatory profile.

we are facing a freeze during the logon process on "weclome" Screen while in the backgroup we can see

the next process:

pastedImage_0.png

Someone familiar with that issue on Windows 10 Enterprise?

We've tried to disable the Store Update without any success through GPO, Local GP, Delete update packages of AppxSVC on Registry.

but still - there is no solution yet.

Please help Smiley Happy

Thanks guys!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Have you optimized the image using the Vmware optimizer?

Im using Windows 10 Pro 1709 images now since 7.4 supports it....I went from LTSB to Win 10 Pro 1709 images.

I dont use Win 10 Enterprise.

But I do run my master images with a pass through the VMware optimizer tool. This may help get rid of this.

Also check you have all your admx files loaded.

It looks like maybe your image is completing an update. is windows update service turned off.

Are these instant clones? or full dedicated VM's?

0 Kudos
GHUser911
Contributor
Contributor

Have you optimized the image using the Vmware optimizer? Yes, we've disable everything that using Windows store or any other App's.

Im using Windows 10 Pro 1709 images now since 7.4 supports it....I went from LTSB to Win 10 Pro 1709 images.

I dont use Win 10 Enterprise.

But I do run my master images with a pass through the VMware optimizer tool. This may help get rid of this.

Also check you have all your admx files loaded. What do you mean? how ADMX files can indicates on our issue?

It looks like maybe your image is completing an update. is windows update service turned off. Yes, Windows update server is turned off

Are these instant clones? or full dedicated VM's? Instant Clone

Thanks for the reply Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Instant0Darth0V
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have seen this behavior after a 'feature upgrade' occurred with the version of Windows.

For example from 1703 to 1709 version is a feature upgrade.

Upon login, the new user profile detects the feature upgrade to the OS and goes through this process.

Do a winver command on the master image.

What version is it? is it 1709 or 1703.

also, if you create a new 1709 image, then make sure you have 'feature upgrades' turned off  (set the date to 365 days) under the Advance settings of windows updates. (this should be the top tab).

This will prevent 1803 from installing, but will allow all your patches to install.

If you are still stuck, maybe create a new clone of your master and a new dedicated full manual pool:

isolate the problem by cloning the master image (after the snapshot is removed)

create a new dedicated full Manuel pool

add this machine to the 'inventory' of the pool (NO snapshot is needed for a dedicated full pool)

Right click on the machine and assign a user, it will also prompt and ask you to provision for that user.

Test with user login that does not already have  a 'user' sub-directory on the master image (there should only be a few user sub-directories on your master...)

This will clearly show you if an update is occurring and should not freeze.

If the same behavior is occuring, then it may be worthwhile to download the latest ver Windows 10 Enterprise (1709) without the feature upgrade.

0 Kudos
harrymsg
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same issue.  I've optimized, deleted all store apps, set network gpos to disable automatic updating of store apps, tried local, tried registry.....nothing so far will stop this updating of store apps upon a new user logon.  I'm at a loss at the moment.

0 Kudos
Shreyskar
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Looks like windows store app is stuck at updating even though you have disabled it. Can you completely remove MS store from image and try again?

Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore | Remove-AppxPackage

If the issue still persist,

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on Update & Security.
  3. Click on Troubleshoot.
  4. Under the "Find and fix other problems" section, select the Windows Store Apps item.
  5. Click the Run the troubleshooter button and see if it is able to automatically fix any issues.
0 Kudos